Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago, I was told my father passed away ever so suddenly. Next thing I know, I was on the plane on my way back to my home state to assist my poor mother who is now living alone.

Death of someone this close to you is really difficult, especially all the paperwork that comes with it. I now have to accompany my mother to all the places she needs to go to pick up the pieces my father left. She doesn't drive, and since her and my father split everything in half in terms of bills, she can't afford to pay both their shares.

I find myself helping her throughout this whole thing. I'm very happy to do so. I left my husband and corgi puppy back home - for 5 weeks. I am not only consumed by the stress of what's happening, but also my husband and my little 4 month old corgi pup.

I don't feel my husband is providing the proper attention a 4 month old needs. He works from 3pm-11pm and a friend stops by around 6-7pm to let the puppy outside and have a little play time as well. I left so suddenly because everything happened unexpectedly and couldn't really prepare for it. He is left alone, not walked as much as I liked, not being socialized, and not being played with as often as I like. My husband cares for him, but he's also very busy with work and can only provide an hour of playtime at most.

I've looked at doggy daycares, but they are all booked until September. There are only two available in my town and they are all privately owned. Our other friend that has dogs is out of town until September as well. The rest of our friends are all single, living in apartments and working.

My husband tells me everything is fine, and that the corgi puppy is doing well. But I'm not entirely sure. Most of you know, I go out of my way to ensure the puppy is getting everything he needs and more especially during this developmental stage. I am beyond worried about the fact that our puppy is left alone for 5 days a week.

Life is hard, and it decided to crap on me all at once. This is just a crumb of my problems. I have many, many, many more.

Im not sure if this is asking for help, or I'm mainly just venting.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Strong hugs. My sincere condolences on your loss.

All any of us can do when this type of sudden tragedy strikes is the best we can. Your husband is doing his best. You are doing what you need to do for your Mom. Your pup will be ok. Ideal situation for a four month old pup? No, but in the larger scheme, it's not the worst thing that could happen to a pup this age.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My sympathies on the loss of your father. Sudden passings are so much more difficult. --- I'm with Grabby on this one, and I certainly am with you on wanting the best for your pup! Pup"S" in my case. I know I would want someone here virtually all the time if I could afford it, should both me or my hubby have to be away for an extended period, only because there's always someone here with the exception of a few hours on a Friday when both of us are at work.

If you think that some extra play time is in order, you could maybe arrange something with that Rover.com site; I've heard some awesome things about them. I know there's one or two others similar, but can't bring them up right now. Still, at the moment, you describe current arrangements that seem to be pretty adequate. But again, if, given what you're dealing with, if it would help make you feel better about it, an extra couple of hands spending time with your baby is always worth forking out the extra $$, were it me.

Hugs, and all the best to you, and be sure to take care of yourself foremost right now.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I'm really sorry about your father. (((Hugs!!)))

With the schedule you described, your puppy should be fine. I know you want the best for him in terms of stimulation and socialization, and those things are important, but puppies are resilient. As long as he's not locked in a closet for days on end, he'll be just fine - I'm a big believer in the fact that if you've got a relatively stable dog on your hands, missing out on a little bit of socialization here and there isn't the end of the world.

I wish you the best. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ask that you guys pray for me and my family. It truly truly is a dark time in my life right now and I'm more stressed every day.
I thank you for all your well wishes and hugs.

Puppy isn't crated or penned - he has his own designated area in the kitchen and basement where he can look out the window, play, have water and run around etc. It is very very very spacious. We purposely puppy proofed that area of the house long ago and there is virtually nothing in there that isn't puppy approved. It honestly looks like a nursery if you ask me haha. He does great being alone, he knows how to play by himself, entertain himself, and can keep his bladder under control so no accidents at all. But still - that's not enough to make me feel okay.

I certainly hope me being gone for a month will not negatively impact my puppys development.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to rant again..
My husband and puppy went to the vet today. He turned 16 weeks! The vets staff scheduled it when we went in for his 12 week appointment.

My husband texted me afterwards and told me that he didnt need anymore vaccines as he gave all that was needed when we went in for his 12 week appointment. They gave him some flea, tick and heartworm med as well that will supposedly last til spring. And that there are no more appointments

what? This is all hearsay from my husband. A text from him after he had gone to the vet. I couldnt be there which is upsetting me because now I am kind of confused.

Don't puppies have their vaccines from 8, 12, 16 weeks? Then another appointment when he turns 6 months for overall check up? I wasnt there to clarify and my husband is just not the best puppy dad out there. I received a text this morning "Our puppy is 6 months old right?" NO. HE'S NOWHERE NEAR THAT. HE DOESNT EVEN LOOK LIKE IT. LOOK AT HIM. urgh. I'm just so frustrated and and overstressed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss and the additional stress you are going through in helping your mom through this difficult time. I completely agree with Grabby - your pup will be okay. Take care of your mom and yourself right now. Dogs, like kids, are very resilient and they all seem to turn out okay in spite of our imperfections as parents. ((hugs))

·
Registered
41 Posts
So sorry for your loss!! That's rough! Prayers of peace going out to you and your family!

Is it possible you take your pup with you to where ever you are staying at the moment?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
@Devie ((hugs)) I know personally how hard it is to deal with the sudden loss of a father. Mine passed away suddenly 4 years ago. One day he was here, next gone. I also know the paper work involved and applaud you for being there for your mom. Everything does get a bit easier as time passes.

Second, you are correct. a puppy at 16 weeks usually receives his final Parvo booster and Rabies (depending on your local laws), so I'm sure he must have received something; maybe your husband was confused? Also, normally there is no 6 month check, unless you plan to neuter at that time.

Hugs again. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm sure your puppy will be fine and excited to see you when you get back home :)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of your father.

I would be freaking out too if I had to leave my dog alone with my boyfriend for 5 weeks, he's not the most dog savvy owner either... I get nervous when he's with her alone for a day! But you have to trust that everything will be okay. I don't think your husband or the schedule will cause any problems with your puppy's development that is irreparable. Perhaps it will even help Murdoc become more flexible with varying schedules?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just wanted to offer my condolences. My mom passed about two years ago now, and my stepmom just passed a month ago, and I've been helping my dad get everything in line. It's exhausting work, and you're dealing with grief at the same time... it's all you can do to just keep your head above water.

You'll make it through this, and so will your pup! Don't feel bad about the schedule--everything will work out okay, and since there's lots of stuff you have to do that he can't help with, let your husband help in this way by handling the pup while you're gone.

Take care of you. I'm sending lots of good thoughts your way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts