Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cody licks ALL the time. I know how to stop this (sharp "ah", take hand away and ignore) and he's getting better.

But I'm trying to teach him touch (with his nose). I don't accept licking as touching, but he just doesn't get it. When he uses his muzzle, I click and treat with the hand he's not touching. If he licks, I ignore it and keep waiting untill he touches correctly. Is this the right thing to do?

Any advice would be very appreciated, thank you :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Cody licks ALL the time. I know how to stop this (sharp "ah", take hand away and ignore) and he's getting better.

But I'm trying to teach him touch (with his nose). I don't accept licking as touching, but he just doesn't get it. When he uses his muzzle, I click and treat with the hand he's not touching. If he licks, I ignore it and keep waiting untill he touches correctly. Is this the right thing to do?

Yup just keep at it...the licking will extinguish.

Are you having problems with him licking in other contexts?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

as far as the touch training goes, this sounds good to me. it's just going to take time and you will have to be patient. the more you reward for the correct behavior and ignore the one you don't want the faster he'll learn. when you are training, i would not use the "ah" correction (if you have at all) at all and continue to wait.

i'm curious about "ALL" the time? i've never had a dog that licks excessively tho so someone else may have advice on that......my dog licks me regularly, but i wouldn't call it excessive. .....does he only lick you or is it everything (himself, everyone else?)?
you may try giving him something that you feel is more appropriate to lick (a chewie/toy) and reinforcing him for licking that instead of you....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not so much anymore, because we are working on it, but he used to just want to lick every second of everyday. While you are petting him, petting the other dog, sitting where he can reach you, whatever. He will just sit there and lick any part of a person he can reach, from toes to ears, to arms to clothing. Its very annoying, but he's getting better.

Thanks for the replies, I will keep working on it. And I don't use "ah" for training, just in day to day life (such as trying to lick my leg while I'm typing right now...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts