Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Mollie has a bad habit of licking the dishes as I load them into the dishwasher. I've tried a few things to get her to stop, but none of them were very solid training methods, and it has not worked. Does anyone have advice for how to break her of this habit?

Thanks,
LabS

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Sam does it too. Harley did it, Roscoe did it. It doesn't bother me, because they will get washed and sanitized.

Just helping ya wash the dishes Mom.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sam does it too. Harley did it, Roscoe did it. It doesn't bother me, because they will get washed and sanitized.

Just helping ya wash the dishes Mom.
Sounds like Mollie is not alone. :D

The only problem with her doing it is that she tends to get so carried away that all the dishes get pulled out of their slots and start rolling around in quite the wrong place and then I have to reload the whole thing :p

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Have you tried giving her something else, like a kong or something that takes her a minute or two to chomp on? I know that if I offer Lady something like a kong or a dentastix, she will trot off very happily to munch in private. Maybe a puzzle toy?

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
Have you tried teaching her "Place" and have her go there while you do dishes? You can add in the kongs or randomly rewarding while she is on her place.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions! I'll try them when doing the dishes today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog has been doing this for a long time and I still couldn't figure out how to try to retrain my dog. At first, I thought that there was nothing wrong with this, but then I realized that maybe my dishwasher will not be able to clean my dishes from bacteria and worms that sometimes start in dogs. But since I found the perfect dishwashing detergent that my dishwasher bought on ianboer.com.au coping perfectly, I stopped scolding my dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts