Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my 5 month old GSD that we adopted last week, likes to lick me when i sit down or kneel, why does she lick? she likes to lick my hands and face. she nips alot how to get her to stop? also jumps when im standing how to get her to stop?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi ScoobyDoo,

this is a very natural submissive behaviour in puppies. in-corporated with the jumping it is basically your puppies way of greeting & seeking attention.

the easiest way - especially in this age, is to simply ignore your dog. do not show him any signs of affection. when your dog starts licking your face e.g. when you sit down, simply say "NO", stand up and turn away as soon as it starts jumping on you. ignore the puppy till it settled down & then give praise (ensure the right timings - do not praise or give treats while the dog is still jumping or tries to lick again). It helps to co-operate this training with basic obedience. meaning, divert the behaviour (jumping / licking) into a different task. when your puppy starts to jump or lick, let it execute the "sit" command and then praise with a tasty treat & a stroke.

Let us know how you get on! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts