Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! Good day, fellow members!~

I have 6 puppies and they will be 4-weeks old tomorrow. The problem is that they don't have flea infestation, but louse infestation (momma dog has it as well). And these louse, I think, are chicken louse (because we used to have chickens and have seen some of it while checking their feathers [see: attached picture. I don't own it though. I just found it in google for reference]).

The puppies have already suffered lots of bites from these critters, and hard-to-remove scabs have formed on their head, neck and body. And the scabs are really hard to remove to the extent that I have to cut away the fur along with their scabs (I think I'm mean :<).

I have used a flea comb (which I bought 2 days ago, and regretting for not buying it earlier), and combed--for each day--most of the bigger louse away. However, the smaller ones that you can barely see are hard to get rid of by using the said comb alone.
Then today, I gave them a quick, warm bath (hoping I can wash away most of the little ones that are hard to see) and washed away those annoying bigger louse, and once again used the comb. About the momma dog, I gave her a bath as well, and took a longer time to comb and wash away the louse.

When all of them have dried and have rested, I combed them once more to check for the louse. Surprisingly, there was a big decrease in numbers compared to the last 2 days' extraction. I feel a bit more happy for the dogs.

After bathing them, I worn myself out by cleaning the house for the removal of the eggs that may have fallen off from their fur while they were walking around the house.

I know I should not feel confident about the results from the comb that I should stop looking for preventive measures. Is there any way I can get rid of these parasites that is both cheap and efficient? (I'm just a college girl from Philippines Q,Q)

By the way, my puppies are plump and healthy and energetic, and shows no sign of anemia.

I wanna save them from endless scratching, and the possibility of anemia.

Thanks a heap!

- Sunny Yela (Sorry for the long post)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I know I had one female that I got with a littler of pups, when I got her home I discovered she had lice and so did her puppies. I took her and the pups into the Vet and they treated them all and no more problem. As I did it right away there was not much chance of them being spread through the house.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts