Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Liam is my 5, almost 6 year old Chow x Black Mouth Cur x Rhodesian Ridgeback. I've had him since he was 2 months old. He can sit, down, stay, come, paw, and bow. I hope to add more tricks to his resume.

Blarney is my 2 year old Staffordshire Terrier that I bought a few months ago with a breeding contract from her breeder. As such, she has very little training under her belt... and only knows Sit, Down, Stay and Come. Blarney is also an advocate for her breed, and we often go to public places where she turns on her charms. It'd be nice if she had a few tricks to do for people.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So tonight was our first training session in longer than it should have been. After a brief obedience refresher course, I began teaching both Liam and Blarney to 'Spin'. At first Liam would back away from me when I'd reach over/behind him with the treat... then i thought, what if i tap his butt? So i did that, i gently tapped his butt with the same hand holding the treat, on the side i wanted him to spin towards. After a few times of doing this he was already doing spins without me tapping him on the butt.

Blarney i used the same method as she too seemed confused about what I wished her to do. She was still confused about the 'Spins' but was doing them none the less. I think it'll take her longer to catch onto them but that's fine. It was a fun training session and none of us got frustrated.

Note: I use Natural Balance Rolled food as treats, cut into small pieces.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.