Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We adopted Lexi on Saturday the 9th of April. She is a 7-8 month old whippet/mutt mix. When we first got her she was chewing everything as soon as our backs were turned. She completely destroyed her bed in less than 2 weeks, chewed up a hand bag, purse and €10 not to mention countless envelopes and shoe boxes. She didn't have an ounce of self control and had no basic training at all as she was in kennels all her life after being found dumped in a yard with her 3 brothers.

So far Lexi now knows:

Her name (which we changed the day we got her)
Sit (solid)
Lie down (solid without distractions)
Stay (we are up to 4 big steps backwards)
Leave-it (we are in the beginning stages of learning this)
Come (solid when in the house or garden BUT not so good when out on her walks and we cant let her off the leash as of yet)

She has stopped chewing and destroying things and furniture.
She no longer puts her paws up on the counter to see what's up there.
She sits and waits patiently while I put her harness on for her walks.

She is not a very food or toy motivated dog so training her is going to be little more difficult but persistence will pay off - and a hungry tummy will always win:D

Reactions: linzydd

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lexi is a demon dog! One minute she is an angel but other times she is completely out of control. Her super calm nature is what makes her so difficult to read. And her lack of enthusiasm towards toys or excitement is making training very difficult.

We have been in puppy obedience for the past 4 weeks and she is without doubt the best in the class - but as soon as she leaves the room she is back to her bold ways.

Lexi now knows:
Paw
Wait
Stay

Lexi is still learning:
Heel - she is so good in her class but again as soon as we leave she just reverts back to pulling
Come - sometimes she is great, other times she just completely ignores you. Am working with a whistle to now correct this
Leave-it - she understands this but gets fed up and loses concentration very quickly when she isn't getting treats straight away

Her bad traits:
She has gone back to chewing and destroying things. Not as bad as before but still destructive enough.
She is digging holes in the back garden.
Yesterday I found her up on top of the kitchen counter looking for food - needless to say I had to stop myself from killing her!! haha

She is such a handful and I need to work harder with her and get a little sterner!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have finally given in and bought a crate. it is the only way she is going to learn. She is still the most laid back chilled dog ever but has resolved to doing all her bold habits when I am not at home now so I cant give out to her - it is 100% not separation anxiety. She has now chewed one of our leather dining chairs and torn the curtain off the wall and chewed holes in it - not to mention the other million things she has destroyed in the last week.

Her first evening of crate training was fun. Fed her dinner in it and threw the tennis ball in so she was completely comfortable walking in and out. My dog trainer advised me to tire her out and leave her in it for the night while we were home to see how she got on. It went super well, she wasn't phased at all and just slept the whole night without a peep.
I fed her breakfast in it this morning and again no problems.
I gave her 2 frozen kongs full of food when I left for work this morning and she was quite happy in it. She will never be left in it for longer than 4 hours at a time except at night time but I am hoping to not have to leave her in it all night for too long.

Lexi is still learning:
Heel - its a lengthy process and I don't know if she will ever be perfect but il settle for manageable.
Come - she has gotten a lot better at this. I think the more freedom I give her off lead, the better she responds. For some reason when she is in a small field with just plain open space she is more enclined to not come back, but when she is in a big park with ample space, rivers, bushes etc she is a lot better - bit strange but will work on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts