Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I have a set of dog boots that I use when there is a lot of salt in the roads and when it is below zero.

I figured that I would only need these in the winter, but I was just reading some online stuff about biking with your dog and several articles said that the pavement is hard on your dog's paws because of the heat of the pavement, possibility of broken glass, and just the roughness of the pavement.

On the other hand... I never see dogs wearing shoes in the summer, so what is true? It seems that if it is true that dogs will sustain all this damage from the pavement and heat, that there would be crippled dogs everywhere since nobody seems to use them.

Do dogs really need shoes in the summer? How do you know who/what to believe?

Thanks!
-Mike-

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hmmm, that's a good question. I also use the boots on my little dogs in the winter. We live out in the sticks and we go for walks on dirt roads, but I can see long runs or walks on pavement wreak havoc on their paws. However, I would think that over time, especially if their walking distance has gradually been increased over time, that their pads would toughen up. You know what I'm saying, they'd adapt to it as opposed to going out for a 5 mile jog when they're used to being a couch potato.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree with 3neighs. Your dog should develop a caloused (sp?) paw that would have sufficient "padding". However, I would imagine that in places with extreme high heat like Phoenix, Az then boots might be used to protect paws from hot pavement. But then again, dogs might not be going on walks in 120 degrees!!
I've used booties before but for muddy conditions. Makes it a lot easier to clean puppy paws!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for your responses. We walk a lot in the road, so it seems he has pretty tough pads. Glad to know he won't need to be wearing boots in the summer. :)

-Mike-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts