Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! A good friend of mine is picking up an 8 month old Border Collie/Kelpie who basically failed as a cattle dog. He will be her new bush dog, to be out with her every day in Forestry.

His current name is "Blue", but the catch is that her Catahoula is named Blue already so she's in need of a new name!

So, name the puppy!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Azul? (Blue in spanish)
I feel like he looks like a Pete or something. Something real simple. Lol

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I feel like he needs a good bush name, strong and simple. Like Jack, or maybe after a tree? Something like Doug (for a Douglas Fir), Aspen (no offense @Aspen726), or Spruce. Oooh oooh or you could go latin: Salix, Acer, Gingko, Picea?

I miss my forestry days, I totally should have finished that degree.

Reactions: Sha and Aspen726

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think it would be fun to do a play on Blue like someone else said--Azul, Sky, Aqua, Turquoise (Turq/Turk as a nickname!), Teal, Cobalt, Navy, Periwinkle (lots of choices for nicknames there!).

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I feel like he needs a good bush name, strong and simple. Like Jack, or maybe after a tree? Something like Doug (for a Douglas Fir), Aspen (no offense @Aspen726), or Spruce. Oooh oooh or you could go latin: Salix, Acer, Gingko, Picea?

I miss my forestry days, I totally should have finished that degree.
We don't have Ginkos out here but Cedar is a good one, Sitka, picea id really cute too! Acer, maybe too. I was thinking about Latin names but I always think of the awful ones like oplopanax horridus! It's funny how lost I would be in Forestry in Ontario, the only reason I know Acer is because we have Douglas Maple out here.

You were in Forestry? Awesome! I'm just finishing up my Tech now, but have worked in Forestry for 6 years :) My fiancé has worked in it for 13 years!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@zoorun - I was, but I only did two years before I switched to pure biology. Dendrology was my favourite class. We had to do our tree/shrub identification test in the winter - so no leaves to help us! Ahhh it was so fun, but hard. Our lab tests involved sitting down at a bench, and you had two minutes to identify the species based on what you had in front of you. It was either a leaf, branch, or cone. I gotta tell you, those maple leaves all look the same. ;)

To be honest the first Latin name I thought of was Pseudotsuga menziesii...which is a terrible dog name.

Edit - just thought of Dogwood! Cornus stolonifera? Still might be a terrible name.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Hes verry cute, forestry sounds like a really fun job/career.
Shandula- i wish i had classes like dendrology at my school.

With all the talk of blue it made me think of Azure. Some other ones i thought of are, Kanda, Dutch, Bellamy, Navi, Len, Kono and Tesla. Though i tend to lean twoards unique names lol.
Maybe she could name him after a tree like Ash, or Birch, or her favorite tree or its scientific name.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts