Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9-week old got 2nd boosters today (DHLP/Parvo/Corona) around 8 this morning. We got home and she was her normal boisterous self for maybe an hour, then I left for a bit and when I got back she was asleep and has either been asleep or groggy since.

She wasn't interested in eating lunch, though when I rolled her Kong around she scooped up some treats that came out. She's still normally sleeping a lot anyway, but she usually wakes up for an hour with the puppy zooms and we go outside for a walk until she wears out.

When she's awake, she'll follow me through the house but lay down until I move rooms. Other than not eating, her breathing and bowel movements seem pretty normal. The only thing I can think of are the shots she had this morning...Is it normal for them to be this exhausted afterwards? The vet closes at noon on Wednesdays so I can't call them until the morning.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
That's normal. Vaccinations set off the immune system (it's how they work) and the puppy will usually be a little "off" for a day or two. It happens with humans, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, that makes sense. Should I bribe her to eat with some chicken, or just let her be until it resolves?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If you can get her to eat chicken, do so. Chicken is healthy and gentle on the tummy. You don't have to force feed her. Now, if she refuses to eat for longer than 24 hours, call the vet. Not eating for more than a day is perfectly okay with a grown dog* (not that I'm recommending regular fasting for dogs), but it's not okay with a puppy.

*If you have an adult dog with gastroenteritis, they'll order you to not feed at all for 1-2 days after vomiting stops, then slowly resume eating over a course of 2 weeks.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Sam just got his shots, and he's 17mos, his boosters,
he slept and snored for 18hrs.
Next day, back to his normal high energy self.

It's normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts