Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my dog to the vet and got him vaccinated for lymes disease. Initially, the vet told me that its two rounds of shots, and will have to come back 3 weeks after the first one for a booster shot. I took him 3 weeks after the first lymes shot for his booster, as directed, and as we were finishing up with payment, the vet told me he needs one more round in 3 weeks for another booster in lymes and lepto. He administered the lepto vaccine without my knowledge! Tonight I have to take him to the vet for his last round of boosters. My question is. is it two rounds or three for lymes and what should I do about the lepto? I m upset that he gave it to my dog without me knowing, and that I have to go back this third time when origianlly I was told it was only 2 rounds of shots. Should I go to another vet?

my dog is a beagle/chihuahua mix and weighs 25 lbs.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I would be upset too if your dog was vaccinated without your knowledge of what he was getting. I don't like to get too many vaccines at the same time and prefer spacing them out a bit even though it might cost me a bit more.

Look at the UC Davis Vet Med site for protocols and also the AVMA. My understanding is one initial vaccine and one booster for both Lyme and Lepto and once a year after the second booster.

Weigh the risks of both these vaccines, based on the frequency of the diseases, where you're located.

We have very little Lyme disease in our area and I've never had any of my dogs vaccinated for it. Lepto has become more common here in the past few years and my dogs are exposed to possible risk factors, so I do vaccinate for Lepto.

Do some more research and make an informed decision.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am very wary of the lepto vaccine. A rescue dog recently passed away and the autopsy results were inconclusive, but high suspicions the dog passed from the lepto vaccine according to the pathologist. I'm not trying to scare you, just sharing an experience the rescue had been through recently.

This is why I always make sure to be present when my dogs are being treated so I can ask any questions before they do anything or if I see something that doesn't look right in terms of number of syringes, etc.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I am very wary of the lepto vaccine. A rescue dog recently passed away and the autopsy results were inconclusive, but high suspicions the dog passed from the lepto vaccine according to the pathologist. I'm not trying to scare you, just sharing an experience the rescue had been through recently.

This is why I always make sure to be present when my dogs are being treated so I can ask any questions before they do anything or if I see something that doesn't look right in terms of number of syringes, etc.
Unless they're performing surgery, I'm in the room.

Lepto and Lyme vaccines are dependent on where you live. Some places have such a high risk that you'd be negligent not to vaccinate, other places the risk is so low, why bother. You can find incident maps online to help you make that decision.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hm I think it would be best if you voiced your opinion to the vet that all actions need to be approved by you, before they are taken.
Pepper does get lepto, but he's at the dog park everyday, heavily wooded area muck puddles all over the place, and lots of wild life surrounds the park.
If I was in the city, I might have chosen not to get it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts