Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to adopt a dog. I adore giant breeds but would like to adopt from a shelter. I came across the most handsome Leonberger mix and plan to meet him soon. He is 8 months old and I know nothing avout his history at all. Does anyone have experience with Leonberger MIXES? Once mixed, do they no longer have many of the same traits as a purebred? Anything I should look for when visiting him? I have 2 young kids and 2 cats at home as well. Any advice on what to look for (good or bad) in a rescue dog is appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Here is a write up on the breed. It seems that caution should be taken with children and young dogs of this breed. How old are your kids, very young?

Leonbergers: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em?

What is he mixed with? You can never really say what the temperament is going to be with a mix but knowing the other breed(s) can give some clues

My relatives adopted a giant breed and they have to take him to daycare every day. They just don't have the time to exercise him and mentally stimulate him as much as he needs

Anyway just random thoughts! GL! :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
In this case, you're not talking about a breed or breed mix, you're talking about an individual dog. Go meet this dog, bring the family, see how he fits in with your lifestyle.

When people talk about traits of a breed, they're talking about the traits that dogs of that breed are most likely to show. If I say a lab or a golden tend to be pretty amiable/friendly, level-headed dogs that make good family pets as long as they're getting some training and exercise, it's because that's in line with the breed traits. If someone then mentions there's a lab/golden mix at the shelter who is food aggressive, dog aggressive, doesn't like kids, and is really low energy, I'm going to advise them that specific dog isn't going to make a good family pet and if they get it as a single person is probably going to require a fair bit of training to fit in nicely with most people lives.

Also, with a mix, there's no telling how much of the temperament that dog has from one breed or the other(s). Looks are not an accurate indicator of temperament, and if this is a Leonburger/Golden mix, for example, the dog could very well look just like a Leonburger but act just like a Golden, or look just like a Leonburger and have attributes from both parent breeds.

Again, since you're talking about a specific dog, I'd look at and ask about the specific dog.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One of our neighbors growing up had a MASSIVE Leonberger--I know they're a giant breed, but this dog was at the large end even by the breed standard (160-170lbs). All I remember about this dog was that he was determined to confront my lab every time he saw us walking and he bit my lab on two separate occasions (once when he was out walking and jerked free of his owner, once when he was unsupervised in the yard and charged across the road). I just remember him being massive and terrifying and pinning my 95lb dog like he was a chihuahua.

That said, I do think his behavior had a lot to do with his owners. The husband in particular refused to take it seriously ("oh, he's just being protective," "he's not neutered, they do that") until we threatened to do something if our dog was attacked again. And they were planning to breed him, too. So I'm sure with training that dog could have turned out very different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.