Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/local/lovejoy_suit_091009\

This has been an ongoing thing for 2 years, happened sept of 07, cop left his k9 unit in a car for a long ass time (pardon my language) in temps around 115...the dog died, the cop got arrested by Sheriff Joe (our wonderful, and yes I am serious, WONDERFUL sheriff who believes animals deserve the best treatment) for animal cruelty, the stupid judge threw out the case the guy did not get charged but I guess from this story he "retired" or was given a lower position since it is saying ex-sergeant. I will have to look into that but what does everybody think SHOULD have happened? Do you think this "accident" was justified? Do you think this "accident" would be justified if a citizen did this? There are many links on the same page to the past articles.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Definitely not frivolous. The dogs death should be treated like the death of an active duty police officer. And the Jerk Sergeant should have been fired and fined for involuntary manslaughter.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
these police dogs are worth som'thing like $40,000 by the time they are done training them...certainly adds a bit more accountability...

Most officers leave the car running for the dog....12 hours tho...is simply ludicrous.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely not frivolous. The dogs death should be treated like the death of an active duty police officer. And the Jerk Sergeant should have been fired and fined for involuntary manslaughter.
I agree to no end with you on this definitely. If we ran over or killed or even injured a k9 unit we would be charged with harming/killing/etc an officer.

these police dogs are worth som'thing like $40,000 by the time they are done training them...certainly adds a bit more accountability...

Most officers leave the car running for the dog....12 hours tho...is simply ludicrous.
His "excuse" was his step son was in a bad accident...well I am sorry.... I would NOT leave a dog, who barks and breathes and whines and suffers in a car for any reason. These dogs are not totally quiet..no dog really is when you pull up to your house or anywhere for that matter. To say you forgot is to say you are stupid IMO.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Not only to the public who may not think a dog's death is any biggie-the dog is a police officer and should be regarded as such.

Beyond that, I don't buy accidents in a hot car. You just don't do it. Period. My dog stays in my car WITH IT RUNNING LOCKED AND ALARMED for no more then ten minutes if I can see him.
Hot Car=Hot Oven-no difference.

Also if you want to follow stories like this, there's a great website-BAH can't find it-I'll find it and link it-it keeps all up to date with court proceedings on any animal cruelty in any country.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Here we go

Pet-Abuse.Com - Home

You can look up people to see if they've ever been charged or convicted, and look up and follow cases

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That's true-you have to have a strong stomach to search around. I found it as there were two quite horrible cases (among many others) here that I wanted to follow.

The truly worst-yeah, he gets to serve jail time on weekends...Justice for all who aren't furry I guess

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
unless you are a non-police officer who assualts and K9. my cop neighbor had a K9 officer. it is usually considered the same offense to assault a police dog as a human officer. what would the penalty have been had he shot his human partner i wonder. of course this is opening a possibly nasty can of worms about the soundness of our justice system....maybe i don't want to go there......

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found that site a year ago and realized NOT EVERYTHING shows up on it. I watch some cases on animal cops phx and they are not on the site. This cops story is not on there. Its horrible to see how many people are not charged with the horrible crap they do

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sympathize with the cop? I dont know...thats a cop...if I was to injure one of their dogs I would be charged with killing and officer, no matter if I am tired or not. I think its just like leaving a baby in a car and I personally would never forget one or the other, its not feasible and there is definitely no excuse, I think you have that fear but its highly unlikely you would actually forget. I get fired up at this as can you imagine how that dog felt as it overheated? Sorry

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
cops are human. Humans make errors. I know several of them, They work very long hours.

I have bad memory issues. How Iam on a normal day is similar to how a normal overworked person might be on a bad day. I absolutely do not put it past me to forget a dog in the car...thats why I put my purse and cell phone in the back with the dog, so I will not forget to check. In fact my memory is so bad I don't take them on errands really anymore. Honestly, som'times I forget I own Tippy or Critter, until I see them, and then I have a "OH!" moment. There are times when think, and I know I own five dogs, but cannot place all their faces without thinking really hard, I cannot remember a customer at work, that I helped a day before, for over an hour som'times. I can't remember things people tell me moments before, or where I've seen som'one before.

I leave water running all day som'times. Ok, alot of times.

anyway, I know how it is to forget the unforgettable. Hence why I sympathize with the cop. I'd like to not forget stuff, and I sure he would too. The mind does not function right under stress.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess just growing up in AZ and it being so hot I have made it a habit to check through my car for even my chapstick. I just look at it as what if he left a child in the car? I see your point tho, just if it was a child nobody would have accepted his excuse of being stressed.

Also my dogs are too excited when we arrive somewhere or at home so there is no way of forgetting them LOL a nice tail to the face or claw to the head or pit bull on your lap makes it impossible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts