Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and I am finding the disucussions on it very interesting and helpful.

I have a 4 month old miniature schnauzer puppy called Penny and I think I am finding it harder than her when she is left on her own while we are at work!

She's an excellent puppy and we haven't had any major problems training her or anything. From spending numerous days with her, I can see that she sleeps a LOT.

What I am posting about is I am constantly feeling guilty about leaving her. She is never on her own for any more than 8 hours. We have a cage for her with a blanket in it but we leave the door open in the kitchen for her to stretch her legs during the day and to get water etc when needed. There is also newspaper over by the door which she uses when she is desperate. She is very good and when we come home the worst thing she has done is rip up the newspaper and pull her blanket out of the cage. She doesn't cry or anything when we leave her. She has toys and i put biscuits into her kong and all.

She gets a 20 minute walk/jog in the morning (about a mile) and then about a 40 minute walk at around 4 o clock and then finally another 20 minute walk in the evening.

I am hoping somebody will tell me that this is ok because its killing me to leave her on her own even though I can see first hand that she is ok!

Thank you all :)

·
Banned
419 Posts
Four months is a pretty young puppy to be left alone for 8 hours.
Is there someone that can come into your house and check on the baby in the middle of the day (say noon)?? Take her out to potty. Play a little fetch or something?
You could hire someone trustworthy and they could do the job. Family members? Could you do it on YOUR lunch break?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum..
Your set up sounds fine. As long as she has plenty of things of her own to keep her busy she will not get into something that might hurt her. You may also leave a radio or TV on just for the sound. Make her feel like she is not all alone and cut down on outside noises that might scare her.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
If you are worried you can set up a webcam or use your laptop to record her while you are away it should be fairly obvious by her body language and so on to see whether she is upset or bored while you are away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts