Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm the owner of a mix 7 month old dog. Since the past couple of months (since she's gotten all her shots) I've been walking my dog more and more. Obviously as first she was unsure about the leash and all but now whenever she sees it she wags her tail happily as if wanting to go out right at that moment.

But there's been one problem that has somewhat remained persistent. When we're walking and she hears a dog bark (even if its 6 blocks away from where we are) she backs away and tugs on the leash wanting to go a different direction. And it's not only when a dog barks sometimes is out of the blue she backs away and acts as if she would want to run away.
Today for example I had to keep coming back and forth between two blocks because she wouldnt go beyond either of them. Is there something I should do? Should I pull on her leash and force her to go ahead?

Also I wanna add that when other people walk their dogs near us nothing happens she stares at them but then we continue walking, no problem.
And I did notice that the few times that has not happened was when my sister's dog (thats slowly becoming mine since she doesn't really take care of him so I take care of the dog) is walking with us. He's a small dog probably a quarter of my dog size and he barks a lot when other dogs are around. When I've walked both of them together she's never backed away.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Sounds like she is afraid and having the other dog with her makes her feel safer. Don't push her when she is alone or it will make her more afraid. Remember you are out there walking for the dogs benefit. If she only feels safe on those two blocks take her on those two blocks for now. You can try pushing the limit a little every day to add more distance to the walk.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
That's an interesting one. The "out of the blue" might be that she's scented a dog or ??? or maybe heard a faint bark which you didn't or couldn't hear. But the odd part is her behavior when you encounter other dogs on your walk and she acts basically normal. I don't think I would force the issue but you might try and incorporate a pleasurable distraction for your dog and see if you can lure her past the stage where she shows a bit of her behavior, just a small bit at a time and then you can change course before she becomes stubborn on continuing. Maybe some play with a favorite toy, ball or frisbee as the distraction.

She's young and maybe unsure about her surroundings with new smells and sounds. I've seen exactly what you mentioned about behavior changes when another dog is along for the walk or outing. They kind of feed off of each other and find some balance. Strength in numbers maybe?? The size of your sister's dog is probably of no consequence just another dog with an "air" about it, taking the pressure off of yours, perhaps.

I'd be really interested to hear how this situation progresses because it seems like there is some unknown element which triggers your dog's behavior. I also think it is great that you might end up with your sister's dog because if your pup has a confidence issue it seems like your sister's dog is just the right medicine for yours while she gains some confidence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies! And yes next time i take her out i'll go wherever she feels comfortable unfortunately it's been raining nonstop so I haven't been able to take them out.

My sister's dog is actually six months old so they sort of grew up together and i see how she would feel safer with him around, though theres two problems there. One im slightly scared when i decide to take the two of them out. With mine alone i get terrified about cars and intersections (i live in the middle of an avenue so lots of cars and bikes) which is why i've only take them out together a couple of times.

Second problem would be because my sister has not been taking her dog to vet so he doesnt have any shots except one that he got two weeks ago because of my insistence and im afraid he'll catch something from other dogs or the surroundings, dont worry though im already saving up to get him his shots and also saving to my dog spayed.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Hi!

I'm the owner of a mix 7 month old dog. Since the past couple of months (since she's gotten all her shots) I've been walking my dog more and more. Obviously as first she was unsure about the leash and all but now whenever she sees it she wags her tail happily as if wanting to go out right at that moment.

But there's been one problem that has somewhat remained persistent. When we're walking and she hears a dog bark (even if its 6 blocks away from where we are) she backs away and tugs on the leash wanting to go a different direction. And it's not only when a dog barks sometimes is out of the blue she backs away and acts as if she would want to run away.
Today for example I had to keep coming back and forth between two blocks because she wouldnt go beyond either of them. Is there something I should do? Should I pull on her leash and force her to go ahead?

Also I wanna add that when other people walk their dogs near us nothing happens she stares at them but then we continue walking, no problem.
And I did notice that the few times that has not happened was when my sister's dog (thats slowly becoming mine since she doesn't really take care of him so I take care of the dog) is walking with us. He's a small dog probably a quarter of my dog size and he barks a lot when other dogs are around. When I've walked both of them together she's never backed away.
Well the dog is young and that could probably be the reason she is unsure.

What I would do in this situation is this. When you are out walking and you hear a dog barking and your dog starts pulling wanting to go in another direction, I would just stop and wait take a deep breath and just wait him out. Just stand there and wait until your dog calms down, and then keep walking after that.

And if you get to a specific block that he doesn't want to go forward, kinda the same thing there. If he starts pulling backwords and doesn't want to go forward, just stop and wait until he calms down and stops pulling, then you take a step forward and see how he reacts, if he comes after you good then keep going. Or if he starts pulling backwords again, then just wait until he stops.

Please keep us posted how it works out for you :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.