Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasper is 14 weeks old and we have taken a step back in walking on a leash. I feel like he was doing well for a while, but lately, he will walk a few feet, then sit down and refuse to move. I end up picking him up and carrying him about 20 feet, then trying again. Sometimes all it takes is me turning the corner at the top of our street, then he is good to go the rest of the time. Other times, the entire walk will be like this. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. It drives me nuts. I can tell when he stops walking out of fear (anytime a dog in a house barks, a motorcycle goes by, etc.). In those instances, I let him just stop and sit for a minute, then encourage him to come to me, pet him, and keep walking. It is those times when there is nothing out of the ordinary and he just.won't.walk :mad: Is this just a phase and I just need to power through it? Should I go back to treats every time we walk? I really just don't want to have to bring treats and stop every 10 feet to treat him every time we are out. Oh and I definitely know it isn't because he is tired. He is just as likely to do this at the very beginning of a walk, before we've gone very far.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Finnegan does something similar. As soon as we get to the sidewalk he tries to run back up the stairs toward the door, and during the walk he'll often sit and not want to move, and sometimes he'll even cry a bit. But he seems to enjoy walking and especially running (in short bursts). I figure maybe the outdoors is just a bit overwhelming still? They're really young and inexperienced, and there are probably a lot of weird and varying sounds and smells that they pick up on that we don't. I assume it will get better with time.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Jasper is just a baby, and babies have very short attention spans and lots of fears.......give him time, he is way too young for strict formal obedience training.....right now he just needs to learn that you are the best thing ever and to trust you in all ways. Of course you can start teaching him all the basics, but expect him to be, and act like a puppy! I've been reading many of your posts and I think you are expecting too much, too soon.......it is good that you are so involved with your new puppy, but have patience! Puppies go thru a lot of 'fear' phases and it is your job to make him see the world as a happy place! Real training doesn't start to sink into those puppy brains until a puppy is about 6 months old......then you will start to get somewhere! LOL! Good Luck and keep up the good work!

P.S. I bet Jasper is a smart puppy cuz after all he IS part poodle lol!!!!!

Reactions: MHDDOG2016

·
Registered
339 Posts
My puppy stops and sit down, crosses in front of me, chases bugs, and pulls. :p I still carry treats with me and am still pretty generous with them, especially on walks. I reward him for walking close, slack in the leash, eye contact, etc., and I do stop so he can sniff and explore, or to offer him a treat when he sees something that might be considered scary. We are working on leash manners in class but it's pretty basic so far! I'm sure it will get better.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Yes, 14 weeks is very young and expectations should be fairly low at this point. Maybe getting a drag line and letting the little guy cruise around the house and yard with you while getting used to having a leash and collar on might help. Opposition reflex in dogs works in both directions, so either the dog pulling or being pulled will generally solicit the reflex to kick in. Loose leash is the name of the game. And yes, most likely a phase as his confidence builds with the two of you exploring his new big world together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts