Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a rather specific problem with my 8 month old Dogo Argentino. He is generally amazing - still :). He will listen in all but very exciting situations ie. when he is around other excited dogs. Which is not a problem when we are around dogs with owners who pull them back and move on. He settles down after a few steps and we are back on loose leash. He listens great if the other dog doesn't engage. He will look but not pull or stop.

However, we have a lot of stray dogs around. Some are playful and will follow us for a long time trying to play. Then all bets are off. I get him walking nicely but the other dog will engage and my dog starts pulling, doubling back, you name it. Get him listening again, he behaves for a while but starts paying again when the other dog engages. I tried all sorts of things, treats (not very advisable with a stray around), tight leash high up on his neck, short tugs, toys, letting him play. Nothing works for long and we are back to a "35kg kite in a hurricane" routine. What works well is letting him play off leash and just walking. They will then play but stick close to me and follow at my pace. I can only do this in sparsely populated parks, though. I am a bit hesitant to do it when walking on a sidewalk or in crowds. Any ideas? Just to reiterate, short of never going for walks, I can't avoid the strays.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Have you tried tossing food on the ground in front of an approaching loose dog? The loose dog often stops to eat, allowing you to leave. And Reward your dog for following along.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Tossing treats works but if there's ever a...say less friendly stray you might want to bring some pet corrector spray with you as well. And I don't know where you live but if you can do anything about calling animal control about the strays that might help too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried tossing food on the ground in front of an approaching loose dog? The loose dog often stops to eat, allowing you to leave. And Reward your dog for following along.
Yes, I have. It works great. However, I would need to throw a LOT of food every day. If I don't throw enough to feed them to satiation, they just love us more and follow all the way home, poor things. Then I have a whole other problem on my hands :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tossing treats works but if there's ever a...say less friendly stray you might want to bring some pet corrector spray with you as well. And I don't know where you live but if you can do anything about calling animal control about the strays that might help too!
Unfortunately, animal control is almost non-exist and what little little services there are in place are overwhelmed so the conditions for the animals are not great. They are better of on the street, poor little things.

I'm not really scared of them, they are rather small in stature as a rule so they don't go after my dog, they are scared of him. What might be a problem is if we came across a lot of them in a pack. I have no idea what I would do. You just gave me something to worry about!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Take a small air horn, and food. I imagine if there's a big pack of dogs that's hungry they'll be distracted by the food, and if something bad happens that loud noise will typically scare dogs enough to back off and you can pull your dog out. And see if you can find anywhere the strays don't frequent!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts