Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leash training for a stubborn scottie

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Kyllobernese 
#1 ·
So I purchased an AKC registered scottie Sunday. He is 6 months old and hasn't really been out of his breeders kennel area. She told me grass would be new to him. Well I leashed him and have been trying to walk him once at night and once in the morning and my husband tries once in the afternoon, sessions lasting about 30 minutes to one hour. We have set him on grass and cement and he just lays there. The one time I got him to sit and I tried to use the leash to apply pressure to get him to come forward. He rolled over legs shot up in the air and stayed like that till i turned him over. :eyeroll:

He also lays in his bed all day and REFUSES to come out of his bed, not even to eat. AT night he barks, i can hear him running around and the kitchen is a mess of toys and he peed, pooped etc. and just had a hoot. But he is gracefully sitting in his bed staring at me(with that exasperated scottie expression and huffs) by the time we wake up.

So, what can i do? Should i start getting him walking around the house outside? should I try a harness? I really want to start obedience classes but if I cant even get him to stand up I don't want to waste money/time. My hope is to get him into agility....eventually.

#2 ·
I'm so sorry to tell you that you just bought a puppy farm pup. They come with all sorts of behaviour issues because they don't get the care and attention they need growing up.

Please report this to the AKC, they need to know and investigate this breeder.

After that you have a choice of whether to work through this dog's issues or to try to place him with someone who will be able to. dealing with his issues will likely require thousands of dollars, many behaviour consults and huge amounts of your energy. There is no shame on not being able to do that.

First step I'd take is to get him to fear free vet for a check up and a force free/R+ trainer that is kind to dogs.

Good luck!

#3 ·
The fact that im willing to spend money on agility (which is not necessary) im sure im fine with spending money on a good trainer, im not going to get rid of a dog that has issues. I did not expect a perfect puppy....So i know what a puppy mill is, what is a puppy farm? When I was there, there weren't a bunch of dogs running around.He greeted my kids today, stood up wagged his tail etc. We tried walking again and he found a plastic bag to play with. He did not walk around the bag blew by and he grabbed it.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
I have two less-than-perfect dogs so I disagree about rehoming Sherlock and buying another dog.

My opinion/experience is that he needs more time to settle in. I cleared my schedule for a whole week before bringing Laurel home and pretty much did nothing other than bond with the puppy. It was a long time before I ever left the house without her, so I just carried her in a dog sling and used the leash as a safety device just in case.

She would not walk on leash when I wanted to begin training. It just wasn't going to happen. She chewed on it and played with it and firmly planted her little feet down. So much for my own, more modest dreams of Basic Obedience, I grumbled, after doing an online search and seeing what a long road I thought I had ahead of me.

I worked with her patiently but it turned out not to be necessary. When she realized that leashes meant more freedom and was old enough to want it, she stopped biting it, playing with it, refusing to walk on it, etc. on her own and was ready for a puppy class that included age-appropriate tastes of sit, stay, down, come, loose leash walking, etc.

Sherlock is older than Laurel was, so less impressionable, and he has only been home since Sunday. I think he's doing great! Keep on doing what you're doing and find a reputable trainer who has some experience or at least a heart for less-than-perfect dogs and/or shelter dogs and he'll be fine.

Agility eventually, but Sherlock is a kid and probably will be until he is two years old. You absolutely CAN teach an old dog new tricks, as my trainer constantly reminds me, so there's no rush. He doesn't have an expiration date.

Pat Miller has a book that is probably overkill for you and Sherlock, but might be interesting recreational reading or inspiration to get you past any insecurity or negativity:

https://peaceablepaws.com/product/do-over-dogs-give-your-dog-a-second-chance-for-a-first-class-life/

#7 ·
I absolutely did not say to rehome the dog. I put it there as an option because rehoming has such stigma that many who are completely overwhelmed and unable to cope don't feel like it's an option even when it would benefit the dog (which is not what I'm saying is happening here because I don't have enough info.).

#9 ·
Are you okay @laurelsmom ? I clarified so that it was clear that i wasn't saying to rehome the dog and why I put that option out there. I'm just a single user on this forum so please don't leave on my account. I've been told on more than one occasion I have all the tact of a brick to the face and I'm pretty sure that's true. I'll work on the way I say things in future.

#11 ·
No worries; this place may just not be the best fit for me personally. It wasn't just the one misunderstanding with one member. I absolutely did not mean to attack you personally and also owe the OP and apology for derailing their thread with a flounce.

I don't have much experience with terriers, but they certainly are different from herding breeds and my two Chi/Terrier crosses (most likely different kinds of terriers---one might be part Yorkie and the other part JRT) are different from each other.

Teaswizzler's post was much more helpful than my own.

Best of luck, Sherlockthescottie, and I think you're a caring and competent dog owner who will do just fine. Your puppy is very lucky to have you.

#10 ·
Your dog sounds very similar to my Cairn terrier who also came from a breeder, but I got her at almost 5 years. She had been on grass but was completely untrained on a lead and also completely un house trained. She was timid for months outside the home and only walked 100 meters at a time for months. Even now she walks just in short bursts on a lead. But what an beautiful nature! Just so sweet with everyone and her tail goes mad. It all just took time.

Cairns and Scottie’s are similar I think, in that there is a fair dose of not really caring for training in the same way as the herding dogs do. I’ve never been sure if it’s timidity or just having an “independent” streak.

However, we have seen great improvements with lots of routine, affection and persistence.

The other thing I do is go to the same place every time for walks. It wouldn’t suit most dogs but I think it helps a dog who is adjusting to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I think this is what makes it hard to tell what is REALLY happening. Scotties can be so darn stubborn and he is so new to me i can't read his body language. I can read his general body language but not HIS, you know? We introduced him to our other dog through a baby gate. He went into barking normal dog behavior and was way more alert the rest of the day. I caught him exploring the dining room but he quickly hauled it to his bed when he realized i was there.

#16 ·
Things are great! Sherlock acts like a normal dog. Loves his toys and my kids but still is apprehensive about my husband. He is super attached to me specifically. We start puppy socialization classes 9/25. :D This is going to be a good start in seeing if Sherlock can compete competitively in agility and obedience since its socialization geared toward light obedience and introduction to equipment. If he doesn't react well I found some Earth dog practices that are more geared toward his breed. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
Happy to hear Sherlock is settling in alright. We used to breed and show Scotties and I love the breed. I would not worry about getting started early with Agility, lots of dogs are a few years old before starting including my own Golden Doodle, and they still do great. A good foundation in basic obedience helps a lot as they have to have a good recall as it is done off leash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.