Dog Forum banner

Leash Tie Out?

8810 Views 35 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Sthelena
Does anyone use a leash tie-out type thing in the yard when playing with their dog? I don't have a fenced in yard and am probably getting a dog sooner than I am getting the yard fenced. The dog I am probably going to foster from the shelter likes to play fetch so I was hoping to come up with a way to play fetch with her in the yard but have her still be "on leash" so she doesn't run off, obviously. The leashes i have are 6 ft leashes so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for leash tie-outs or long leashes or any experience in general with playing with a dog on leash in the backyard? Thanks!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 36 Posts
We use a leash tie out sometimes, even though our yard is fenced in. If I can't watch our puppy, who is in a big digging stage in certain areas of the yard, I will put her on the tie out. You might want to get a longer tie out than 6 feet for playing...chasing a ball that goes farther than intended often results in the poor dog meeting the end sooner than expected (ask me how I know that...oops!). Our neighbor has one that's probably 15 feet.
We have two metal stakes...we started with a green one that you just push into the ground, but our dog would pull so much it wiggled holes in the dirt. So we got one that looks like a corkscrew and basically screws into the ground. It's held up much better. I now use the simple one to take with us if we're visiting family and I want to root her temporarily outside, or I can take it to the front yard and attach her lead there.
1 - 2 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.