Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
So,as the title implies,I'm currently in need of a new leash,and I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me about your favourite ones.I don't really mind the length,but keep in mind that Echo is still quite young and unaltered,so he does pull a bit (although he's considerably improved in those past few months).The simple ones just don't work for me,and neither do the chains as they hurt my hands.He weights 15 kilograms.
Thank you in advance! :)

PS.I will probably need to buy him a new harness soon as well,because the one I currently use is almost destroyed.So harness reccomendations are welcome as well!

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
As far as leashes I tend to really like the Mendota leashes. I have a few different types ranging from slip leads (that I use in emergencies or just running somewhere) to the snap ones. I usually use 4 foot leads just because I tend to like to keep my dogs closer and if I use anything longer I end to find it wrapped around my hand which I don't like.

Amazon.com: Mendota Products Snap Leash: Sports & Outdoors

Harnesses I use 2 different types.

Roxie is in a Comfortflex
Amazon.com : PetPDC ComfortFlex Sport Harness, Medium/Large, Saffron : Pet Halter Harnesses : Pet Supplies

And Forbes is in a Ruffwear Front Range.
Ruffwear Front Range Harness, Medium, Campfire Orange : Amazon.com : Ruffwear : Pet Supplies

Roxie works well in the Comfortflex but she really is not a fan of harnesses so I wanted something that was very minimal. She still doesn't love this but she tolerates it. Forbes is in the Front Range and I like it, although anyone who uses it has to make sure it is sized correctly or else it can be slipped out of.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I got this for Christmas and LOVE it:

http://www.amazon.com/Ruffwear-Roamer-Leash-Large-Obsidian/dp/B00HE4Y4RK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420657720&sr=8-1&keywords=ruffwear+roamer

I wouldn't use it all the time since the bungie, while I'm crazy about the feature, does reduce the amount of control I have.

I have a 2' Paco leash for class/socializing since my dog is a but reactive so I prefer to keep her close. I also Have a nice GDS leather leash that I use a LOT. Inexpensive, simple, durable:

Scott Latigo Twist Leash 1 in. x 4 ft. 5268. $15.95 (Save $6.04)

If I felt the urge to spend $50 on a leash, I'd probably go with a recycled Karate belt leash. They're so cool!

Leashes | Upcycled Hound

As far as harnesses go, you can't beat the webmaster. It's my favorite piece of equipment I've ever purchased for my dog hands down.

http://www.amazon.com/Web-Master-Harness-Medium-Currant/dp/B005OTY7A6

But I also have a front range for classes and socializing. It's much lighter and makes pulling more difficult than the webmaster even though I don't use the front leash attachment.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
We're talking leashes, are we? This one is by far my favorite (and since I started walking dogs, I've become a bit of a conniseur LOL!): Amazon.com : Canine Equipment Technika Beyond Control 1-Inch Dog Leash, Black : Pet Leashes : Pet Supplies

The Canine Equipment Beyond Control Leash.

Why I like it...

-Made out of the tubing used for rock climbing harnesses, so it's super strong.
-You can adjust the length.
-Machine washable.
-Can be used as a waist leash (nice for training, better for clicker training).
-Can be used as an extendable coupler (for walking two dogs).
-Can be used as a short, albeit fairly sturdy tie-out.
-AND if you're feeling conventional, it can be used as a regular leash! :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I use a Kurgo Quantum Reflect & Protect adjustable lead. A comparable, pricier product is the Ruffwear Slackline:

Kurgo Reflective Quantum 6-in-1 Dog Leash, Raspberry : Amazon.com : Kurgo : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Ruffwear Slack Line Leash, Granite Gray: Pet Supplies

Having used an adjustable lead, I would absolutely not go back. The waist-worn feature is extremely convenient and has helped significantly with loose leash training, canicross and jore training, etc. If I need to, I can shorten it to a three-foot training lead. I can tether the dog safely and quickly while I run errands. In the case of the Quantum, the way it's designed allows you to use loops over the length of the leash as secondary handles, which can give you extra control in a pinch. If I need a length of bungee (which is definitely good for casual outings or hikes) I can easily attach the carabiner-ended bungee I use for biking the dog to extend the leash further than its max 6 feet.

I personally chose the Quantum over the Slackline because the reflectivity is higher and the snap is less bulky/more easily switched out, but I'm not sure those would be big considerations for everyone.

The one @kelly528 posted looks great, too.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I use a Kurgo Quantum Reflect & Protect adjustable lead. A comparable, pricier product is the Ruffwear Slackline:

Kurgo Reflective Quantum 6-in-1 Dog Leash, Raspberry : Amazon.com : Kurgo : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Ruffwear Slack Line Leash, Granite Gray: Pet Supplies

Having used an adjustable lead, I would absolutely not go back. The waist-worn feature is extremely convenient and has helped significantly with loose leash training, canicross and jore training, etc. If I need to, I can shorten it to a three-foot training lead. I can tether the dog safely and quickly while I run errands. In the case of the Quantum, the way it's designed allows you to use loops over the length of the leash as secondary handles, which can give you extra control in a pinch. If I need a length of bungee (which is definitely good for casual outings or hikes) I can easily attach the carabiner-ended bungee I use for biking the dog to extend the leash further than its max 6 feet.

I personally chose the Quantum over the Slackline because the reflectivity is higher and the snap is less bulky/more easily switched out, but I'm not sure those would be big considerations for everyone.

The one @kelly528 posted looks great, too.
Have you tried using it as a coupler? I actually have this one too and I do like it but I'm always afraid that the big dogs will rip the loops off, so I really only use it as a regular leash or a waist leash.

·
Registered
519 Posts
No, I haven't. Looking at the one you prefer, I was actually thinking, "but if I had two dogs I could get that one and some reflective tape and..."

I have an irrationally large fear of my dog getting away from me and playing chicken with a mack truck so everything he owns has to light up like a Christmas tree in headlights. : P

I'm not sure I'd initially trust the one I have either. If I ever do try to use it as a multi-dog leash I'll post experiment results.

Reactions: kelly528

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I did use it as a tie out many times, and on one unfortunate event a pulling dog bent the carabiner like a paperclip :eek:

Still, replaced with a legitimate climbing-grade carabiner seems to have held up so far.

OH and they don't have reflective colors but they have (on the company website) come out with the model in a few blindingly bright neon colors. I snapped up the hot pink ones as soon as I saw them in store :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
The poor-quality carabiner is the most common complaint I've heard about it. I fully intend on replacing mine... and probably the collar/harness attach point snap, too.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love my leash but I'm spacing on the brand. Just about to take Stella out so I'll come back to edit.

It's a vegan leather leash (which is not why I bought it) rather I bought it because I use her leash as a drag line often for off leash training, and it appeared to be, and has proven to be, fairly indestructible!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
As far as leashes I tend to really like the Mendota leashes. I have a few different types ranging from slip leads (that I use in emergencies or just running somewhere) to the snap ones. I usually use 4 foot leads just because I tend to like to keep my dogs closer and if I use anything longer I end to find it wrapped around my hand which I don't like.

Amazon.com: Mendota Products Snap Leash: Sports & Outdoors

Harnesses I use 2 different types.

Roxie is in a Comfortflex
Amazon.com : PetPDC ComfortFlex Sport Harness, Medium/Large, Saffron : Pet Halter Harnesses : Pet Supplies

And Forbes is in a Ruffwear Front Range.
Ruffwear Front Range Harness, Medium, Campfire Orange : Amazon.com : Ruffwear : Pet Supplies

Roxie works well in the Comfortflex but she really is not a fan of harnesses so I wanted something that was very minimal. She still doesn't love this but she tolerates it. Forbes is in the Front Range and I like it, although anyone who uses it has to make sure it is sized correctly or else it can be slipped out of.

I second Mendota leashes. Jayne is 3 years old and has had the same one since she was a puppy I love it! I also use the Front Range harness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.