Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. About two weeks ago, my 11-month-old mutt started leaving spots of anal gland secretion on our couch (you know how I know that's what it is - it smells awful. Thankfully we have a cover for our couch!).
I'd say the glands are full, but we can see the secretion come out after she poops, like it's supposed to. Usually it's just one 'dollop' (ewww), but this morning it was 5 times that.
I'm making a vet appointment for Friday to see if they need to be expressed. I just want to see what you all think. A lot of times when I go to the vet, he acts like I'm a hypochondriac. Is this something I shouldn't be worried about?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
After you get them expressed start feeding organic prunes 3 times a weeks. Small dog 1 ,medium 2, large 3 chopped up in the food three times a week. It works to keep the clean. I don't know why it works but after using it for years it does. Some dogs can't keep them expressed on their own and need a little help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses! I'm going to the vet tomorrow to get them expressed, if that's what they need.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Thanks for your responses! I'm going to the vet tomorrow to get them expressed, if that's what they need.
good luck keep us updated

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good luck keep us updated
The vet did their thing... everything looked normal, and we haven't had any 'leakage' or smells since. Threw the couch cover in the washing machine and everything is as good as new :)
As for prevention, we'll try the prune thing. We feed her pumpkin regularly, and that doesn't seem to help. I know bones are supposed to make their stools harder - maybe I'll try to add more of those to her diet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to know that everything was normal. It's always a worry as mine is in between vet visits. Her paw wouldn't stop bleeding and she was just making it worse.

Turned out to be a lump which has been removed. The stitches and results come next week.

The organic prunes is new to me, so I will keep these in mind.

John
-------------------
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras
-------------------

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Unfortunately some dogs just need the occasional assist with those anal glands. Samantha needs to have hers expressed every two months or so. The prunes are a new idea to me, at least. Anyone else care to chime in on that as a possible aid to this rather unpleasant problem some of our dogs present to us. Will ask our Vet what he thinks, the next time I see him, but more experiences would be helpful too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts