Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a dog that is very stubborn. She walks great at most times and loves her walks but when she sees another dog, a kid or anything she wants to play with she lays down and won't move until that thing (dog, kid, etc.) either comes over to her or moves away until she can't see it anymore. She has discovered that if she is laying down I can't move her and pull her in the other direction.

What can I do to correct this behavior?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Very very yummy treats. And work with her on walking on lead. I've has a similar issue with Shorty, he wanted to stop and sniff everything. So I got some treats and would praise and treat when ever he was walking nicely. I would let him stop and sniff sometimes but then would tell him, let's go(he does know it. When he wants to.) If he ignored me I'd show him a treat and get him walking, but wouldn't give it to him right away, and I'd keep extending the amount of time it took him to get the treat. Within days we had the treats fazed out, other then one here or there for walking nicely. It may be a little harder for you since your dog is really distracted. It's important not to reward your dog for laying down and not listening. Be it treats or or attention by from the people/dogs.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I recently adopted a dog that is very stubborn. She walks great at most times and loves her walks but when she sees another dog, a kid or anything she wants to play with she lays down and won't move until that thing (dog, kid, etc.) either comes over to her or moves away until she can't see it anymore. She has discovered that if she is laying down I can't move her and pull her in the other direction.

What can I do to correct this behavior?
Sounds like maybe he was taught by the previous owner to down when people or dogs approach could be he used to jump on them. You are going to have to break that training with some very yummy treats like annageckos said.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts