Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a thread on my neighborhood listserv about the Animal Control Officer activities in our community. Our local animal welfare league performs animal control under contract with our county.

The most recent annual report from the animal welfare league, however, reports over 100 "law enforcement cases" over the past year. This is distinct from about 60 "police/fire assists". No further information is available; according to the thread the League has been unresponsive.

Are "law enforcement cases" a euphemism for leash law citations? Or would the term be used for other situations like maybe:
--a person gets arrested, and the criminal's pets need to be taken away, or
--animal cruelty, or
--a person is keeping exotic pets, or
--an animal is deemed unsafe, say for dog bites, and must be put down.

My partner and I moved to this area specifically due to its canine-friendly reputation. One indicator is the animal control being outsourced to the local animal welfare league (giving the experts a stable revenue stream in the process). I understand Animal Control people have to do their work, but I've lived places where Animal Control has a gotcha mindset. I'd hate to see things move that way here, but 143 "law enforcement cases" is troubling without further information being made available. Thank you so much for any insights.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think this is something better answered by someone in your area. Contact some local rescues, vets, trainers or any other dog people and ask what they're like. You'd be surprised how many issues with animals can happen in one town in a year. There's direct abuse, neglect, hoarding (or just a few pets over the legal limit), aggressive dogs, "dogs at large" (roaming), and some other illegal activities. It might just be that a lot of stuff goes on there that really does make law enforcement necessary. So just ask around and see what people say/think about the local animal control. Their opinions alone will tell you a lot.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd love to hear the answer. I'd find it interesting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I received the following reply to my inquiry from the local animal welfare league:

"The animal control officers investigate all possible violations of county and state animal laws, including enforcing the requirements for up-to-date rabies vaccinations and county licenses, as well as the county's leash law. Violations of the leash law are taken seriously and enforced just like any other part of the animal code."

I'm still not sure whether to take the leash law seriously. They don't specifically give a breakdown of how many of the cases center on leash law enforcement. Nor do they say whether they count "warnings" as cases.

Finally, they can't just say they ignore the leash law. So I think in the end they'll enforce if it's obvious, like if someone uploads to YouTube a bunch of videos of dogs romping off-leash. But if you just run your dog in a playground on a Sunday AM before they start their shift, you should be fine.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Rather sounds like if they catch you off leash in a leashed area, you'll most likely get a fine. Gotcha mentality isn't uncommon.

We take chances, run the dog off leash in leashed areas. Most people are good, he's small, won't do any harm but there's others who will complain about anything - and I believe that's where follow ups are done.

Spoke with an animal control officer last summer, a little dog had wandered in to the business, only had the rabies tag and registration tag. Had no choice but to call animal control to see if the dogs owners info could be given. They said no - then ahh poop - we'll come over and pick him up. A few minutes before they got there, the owner came in and took the dog.

When animal control showed up, she was a little upset that the dog was gone. There was expectation of investigation and fines for the dogs owner for the dog running free.

Really wish more owners would place a tag on their dogs collar with contact information for the owner.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
i don't know how this is in your country.
but if you've got just 2 or 3 cases of animal hoarding you can easily get on 100 animals to be taken fro the owners if they treat every animal as a single case.

Then there's the dozens of cases of half-wild outdoor cats that are found by people and you've got to neuter them and find a place for them and their neverending offspring...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.