Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a papered full blood German shepherd and would like to breed her with another full blood. Problem is, she's already had 4 litters of mixed pups and she's 7 years old. Is there anything I can do to better her chances of having healthy pups for one last litter?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If she's 7 and has already had 4 litters I think it would be tantamount to cruelty to breed her again.

Out of curiosity, did all four of her litters come from you?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
questions to ask yourself:
Is you dog tested? don't breed untested dogs.
have both parents papers? If not they're registred you can't prove they're not purebred, so they are not considered purebred.
is itwise to breed these two dogs: What is your vision for the breed? how does breeding your female dog make the breed better?

according to the SV (which is actually a lot more lax with this than other breeding clubs):
-the female is not allowed to be bred more than 3 times in 24 months.
- if the dog has more than 8 puppies you need to find a wet nurse for them and/or don't breed her again the next heat
-both dogs must be health tested (!) and have passed the working tests
- the female only bred with one sire per heat
-the female has to be atleast 20 months and max. 10 years old

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wouldn't, personally. Just like with people, the chances of complications rise as the dog ages, and your dog is now rapidly sliding towards 'old'.

If you're intent on tryign to breed her again, it's time to involve your vet in every step of everything you do. Your vet can recommend any supplements to try to make your poor dog healthier and any other care she might need to make sure this goes well and easily for her. Chances are good your vet will know more about breeding than any of us here, and having said vet on hand when the dog whelps could save her life.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have a papered full blood German shepherd and would like to breed her with another full blood. Problem is, she's already had 4 litters of mixed pups and she's 7 years old. Is there anything I can do to better her chances of having healthy pups for one last litter?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like someone has been totally irresponsible already. She is 7 spay her and let her live a happy rest of her life.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I wouldn't breed a 7 year old dog. Too many risks for her and for the puppies.

I wouldn't breed her at any age unless she was an outstanding example of her breed being bred to a sire who had the same excellent traits. Why do you want to breed her? What is her background? Have you done all the health checks required and has the sire also had these done?

In the States we have enough poorly bred GSDs. The fact that you are asking this question on a public dog forum leads me to believe you have no experience with breeding dogs. I could of course be wrong and you can let me know by your responses to the questions and concerns we've posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts