Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you believe larger dogs are easier to potty train than smaller dogs?

I do. I think the reasons are multi factorial but I believe it to be true.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I've only ever had big dogs, so my experience is very limited. It might just the people I know with small dogs, but most of them have been either potty trained indoors, or just not potty trained at all. I feel like maybe little dogs are not always as confident as bigger ones (although I have met a few big chicken great danes...), so maybe it is more difficult to get them outdoors. I don't know.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I haven't had a small dog but I'd say yes - it's harder to watch a small dog get under something and the supervision needs to be more stringent because they can find holes you may not have noticed before.

I think a lot of people also just don't train small dogs because you can manage very easily by picking them up/etc, and there's less of a mess to clean so the human fails more often. Sort of like the mistake between the amount of water from a bucket spilling on the floor vs the whole bathtub flooding a house...one has more severe consequences, so you take different preventative measures.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The difference for me is not so much small vs large, as it is breed. A lot of the lap dogs seem much harder to house train. Ig's, chi's, yorkies, toy poodles, dachshunds, maltese, shih tzus and such tend to be a challenge. Of course not all, but many I've come across are just not as reliable or easy to train.

But small dogs like JRT's, beagles, corgis and the hardier small dogs are good about potty training.

My beagle/rott and Jrt/beagle were easy to house train, and never have accidents. The only way they ever would is if they were left inside way too long, which i don't allow to happen.

But Reese, my little cairn/chi/shih tzu mix is very much a lap dog, and sucks at house training. She's reliable in her crate, but otherwise it was very difficult and she can't be trusted.

Of course there's exceptions and every dog is different, but that's what I've seen.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ I feel like the "lap dogs" you listed (except maybe the IG) are all significantly smaller than Jack Russell's, beagles or corgis. Which kind of puts size back into play

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Personally I feel similarly to Kwenami.
People tend to not notice accidents from teeny tiny puppies. Puddles can literally disappear into carpets, sometimes it's difficult to tell if the puppy is just sitting or peeing, and it's pretty easy for them to leave the owner's sight for the few seconds needed have an accident. If not extremely vigilant and on a tight potty schedule, it's easy for these tiny puppies to very quickly learn and establish the habit of going inside.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I guess for lack of better descriptive terms you could say they are harder. I don't think it's because housetraining is any different with toy breeds, but that owners tend to either be not as viligent, or that they are not as careful as those with larger breed puppies.

A 5 month old toy breed puppy has an accident and it's no big deal, it's just a small puddle, but let a 5 month old lab puppy have an accident and it's a rather large puddle that you need to clean. I agree that some of the toy breed accidents go unnoticed, and that's doubly true if the owner has wall to wall carpet.

If the owner sets up a training schedule, sticks to it, and is diligent about preventing accidents then a toy breed will housetrain just as fast and easily as any other size dog.

Zody is fully housetrained, potties outside, and is capable of going 12 hours without a bathroom break (he's only done so once!). In the morning I'll let him out to potty but instead of pottying he'll find a place in the sun and lay down for a good 30 min to an hour. So I don't buy the he's not housetrained because toy breeds have smaller bladders and cannot hold it as long excuse. Toy breeds also have smaller stomachs and do not drink as much as larger breeds, their bladder size is on scale with their stomach size.

Forgot to add, Zody is a Chi x Dach mix, both breeds are said to be very hard to housetrain.

Reactions: Weenie
1 - 8 of 8 Posts