Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know which to feed my dog? My puppy is about 10-11 months old and we've had her for 2 months. She's been eating a small bite food without any problems. Should I try her with the large bites? She's approx.35 lbs, a mixed breed (possibly retriever or border collie). Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi! I wasn't aware that it mattered if a dog ate small or large kibble. I do know, though, that kibble of any kind can shoot little shards of food in between dogs' teeth to rot. Contrary to the common belief, kibble doesn't clean teeth, but actually does quite the opposite. If you feed kibble, large or small, I encourage you to soak it in water before your dog eats it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! I wasn't aware that it mattered if a dog ate small or large kibble. I do know, though, that kibble of any kind can shoot little shards of food in between dogs' teeth to rot. Contrary to the common belief, kibble doesn't clean teeth, but actually does quite the opposite. If you feed kibble, large or small, I encourage you to soak it in water before your dog eats it.:thumbsup:
What do you feed your dog on a regular basis?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Small kibble is really only for very small dogs. A 35 pound dog will have no problem with regular adult kibble. My 35 pound Border Collie eats chicken drumsticks, turkey necks, thighs etc. and easily crunches through bone.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Why do you suggest soaking?

·
Registered
26 Posts
What do you feed your dog on a regular basis?
I'm actually really embarrassed by what I feed my dogs. :( It's by Kirkland. It's not bad bad (as in it is grain free) but it's definitely not the best. My parents won't buy me good food for them because it's so expensive. :(:( Every few weeks, they'll crack and buy me some things for a good homemade meal, but my dogs don't get what they should be getting nearly enough. :(:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why do you suggest soaking?
The natural food that a dog would eat is meat and bones, yes? Neither of these have the same crunchiness as kibble. Because kibble is so crunchy, and dogs aren't designed to eat this kind of food, little tiny pieces can easily get wedged between the dog's teeth as he crunches. I soak kibble in water (or this broth-ish stuff that I make by putting bones in a slowcooker for 24 hrs) so that the food can soften, and hopefully lessen the negative impact on the dog's teeth. :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The natural food that a dog would eat is meat and bones, yes? Neither of these have the same crunchiness as kibble. Because kibble is so crunchy, and dogs aren't designed to eat this kind of food, little tiny pieces can easily get wedged between the dog's teeth as he crunches. I soak kibble in water (or this broth-ish stuff that I make by putting bones in a slowcooker for 24 hrs) so that the food can soften, and hopefully lessen the negative impact on the dog's teeth. :)
The only thing you are correct about, is dogs being designed to eat raw meat/bones. That, along with organs are the only thing I have fed mine for about ten years.

Where you are wrong. Kibble really isn't that crunchy compared to bones. Some bones are denser than others, but all are much more so than kibble. Bones act a scrapers on the teeth and gums to keep them clean of any plaque build up. Feeding bone, you will never need to go to the vet for a dental. Ever.

Kibble, just turns smushy when chewed, and sticks to the surface of the teeth, causing plaque build up. That happens with all kibble, dry or wet. Kibble is nowhere near like the consistency of bones, in any way. Bones prevent problems, kibble causes them. Doesn't matter if you soak the kibble or not, its still nowhere near as hard as bone. It will never give you those benefits.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Kibble, just turns smushy when chewed, and sticks to the surface of the teeth, causing plaque build up.
I agree. Soaking it is just the equivalent to giving your dog a wet-food only diet. Dogs who are fed exclusively wet food always have the worst teeth.

Reactions: naturalfeddogs

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
And, if kibble were harder than bone the way jnno88 says, then kibble would keep teeth clean. And clearly it doesn't. And I agree with you, soaked is even worse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree. Soaking it is just the equivalent to giving your dog a wet-food only diet. Dogs who are fed exclusively wet food always have the worst teeth.
Whaaaaat! Ugh I can't do anything right!

Question:
If regularly feeding RBMs isn't an option, do you think teeth-brushing is doing generally the same stuff that bone chewing does?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Whaaaaat! Ugh I can't do anything right!

Question:
If regularly feeding RBMs isn't an option, do you think teeth-brushing is doing generally the same stuff that bone chewing does?
Brushing the teeth will help, but not to the same extent as what bone does.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Ok. So my best bet is to feed dry dry kibble (not wet food/soaked kibble) and brush their teeth. Yes?
No. Kibble, dry or not will not brush teeth in any form. Wet or dry, build up of plaque will still happen. You can buy dog toothpaste and tooth brush, if that's what you want to do. You may can find them at petsmart or one of those places. That's not going to do a ton, but it's better than nothing if you aren't going to give any raw bones during the week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No. Kibble, dry or not will not brush teeth in any form. Wet or dry, build up of plaque will still happen. You can buy dog toothpaste and tooth brush, if that's what you want to do. You may can find them at petsmart or one of those places. That's not going to do a ton, but it's better than nothing if you aren't going to give any raw bones during the week.
Sorry I'm such a pain. :eyeroll: I'm not completely understanding what you're saying. I understand that kibble won't brush their teeth... And I understand that soaking it to let it soften is actually worse for the dog than not letting it soften... Yes? No is answering what question?
Where this is coming from: I've been brushing my boy's teeth and feeding soaked dry food because I read a while back from a book by Michele Welton (link! 11 Things You Must Do Right To Keep Your Dog Healthy and Happy) that she soaks her dog's kibble (on the rare occasions that she doesn't feed raw/homemade food). I like her a lot, but I do like to hear the ways other people do their thing so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have no idea who she is, or why she soaks food. It's pointless. Where am I getting this? Because of the way kibble is processed at the manufacturer.It's man made, with carbs used to hold it in it's shape. Wet or dry, it just smushes to the teeth, and sticks there. Over and over from each meal. Plaque then forms, just as it would for you if you let food just build up on your teeth as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts