Dog Forum banner

Large dog set up in an apartment when you are away

773 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DogFaming 
#1 ·
Hi, My husband and I are planning to get a lab puppy and we live in a one bedroom apartment. I wanted to understand how do people leave their dogs in the apartment when they are away for work. Do you confine the dog in a pen area or are there other ways to confine them that makes it easier for the dog and not a hassle for you? I am concerned that if we confine the dog in a pen, wouldn't it jump over it once it's old enough? Are there any good crates/ pens that are good enough for an adult lab?

#2 ·
You can and should crate train the puppy but he could not be left in it for hours on end if you both work. The puppy would have to go outside to relieve itself at least every couple of hours at first.

Do you have a laundry room or bathroom that you could safely leave the puppy in and use puppy pads till he is older or have someone come and take him outside. All puppies like to chew so you would have to make sure there was nothing he could reach and chew on. Make sure he has lots of safe chew toys.

#3 ·
If you both work, and you're away most of the day, and you're in a one bedroom apartment without access to a yard, then a puppy is really not suited for that. You should seriously consider an adult dog that's known to be well behaved when left alone. Puppies are like raising a child. They are hard work. I don't know your experience level with dogs so I'll assume in this case that it's minimal. Don't under estimate the level or work that a puppy will bring you. They take a LOT of time. They can be VERY destructive. They get lonely and will cry, howl, whine when left alone. I'm currently fostering 4 Rottweiler puppies and I work from home. The puppies consume huge amounts of time. They have to be let out every hour or two. They have to have different things to occupy their time all day long or they start chewing on whatever they can get to. I have them confined to a puppy play pen area, but they still manage to get to things. Like the tablecloth that was hanging too close to the cage and the wood baseboard.

And since you don't know the personality of a puppy you may end up with a puppy that doesn't suit the living situation that you have. And then what will you do? I'm not trying to be a downer for you, but it truly will save you and the puppy a lot of stress if you get a dog that's an adult. There are tons of adult dogs out there that are awesome dogs and I'm sure there is one that would be perfect for you if you look around a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.