Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. We have a 20 week old German Shepherd mix puppy named Bradley. When we got him from the rescue he was being fed Purina Puppy Chow, mixed with Purina Dog Chow, wet food and warm water, as all the rescue dogs were fed together. We were only given a small bag (enough for 1 meal) of the dry kibble with no information on what type of wet food, or the ratio of the kibble mix, so we had no choice except to change his food. We put him on Performatrin Ultra Grain Free Large Breed Puppy (Pet Valu brand). He hated this food and it caused him to have 7-8 loose stools a day. After 3-4 weeks on this Performatrin food, we slowly switched to what the vet recommended, Pro Plan Focus Large Breed Puppy. Well, Bradley loved this food and gets excited to eat everything in the dish. However, at his vet appointment 2 weeks ago we were told her is approximately 5 pounds underweight. The vet said it could be that he just hit a lull in his growth, or it could be his food. Even though he really enjoys his food and it is a large breed formula, it could just not be giving him what he needs. If his weight is not 50 pounds by April 15 the vet wants us to change his food to a different large breed puppy formula to see if that helps. We are not thrilled about having to change his food again, but understand that it must be done.
What are some reasonably priced dog food brands (dry kibble) that you would recommend??
BTW...he has no fleas, worms or parasites. And we are feeding him enough food. He gets a total of 4 cups of kibble, 15 ounces of wet food and 1 raw snack divided between the day.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use Canidae All life stages dog food for my Rottweiler pup as well as American Journey {Chewy.com brand} and she has been right on target with her weight... A 44 lb bag of Canidae goes for around $55, a 24 lb bag of American Journey goes for $40... Whatever food you choose to use Look for one that has a Higher Calorie count than the one you have now.....

Canidae ALS: has 468 per cup

American journey Salmon and sweet potato: has 430 per cup

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes, an All life stages food is acceptable for puppies.... personally I believe, there really isn't much difference between most quality adult or All life stages and Large breed puppy foods.. Read the Guarantee Analysis for each of the foods you are comparing/looking at purchasing, As long as you keep the protein levels between 24-28%, Fat levels around 12-15% and Calcium/phosphorous levels at no more than 1.5 to 1% you should be ok...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Holistic Selects is a good brand that makes a decent Large breed Puppy food a little higher in price at $60 for a 24 lb bag

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just an FYI the reason for feeding Adult or ALS over puppy food is puppy food typically has higher protein, fat and Calcium/phosphorous levels, and while the higher protein may not cause issues, the higher fat and Calcium/phosphorous can... It is Believed, that too much fat can cause excessive weight gain{causing undo stress on developing bones}, and too much Calcium/phosphorous can cause rapid bone growth leading to bone deformities and joint issues... You want to keep them lean and at a slow even growth pace.... I wouldn't worry too much about the 5 pounds especially given the fact that he is a mix.. He may always be behind as long as he is steadily gaining weight, is active and overall healthy you should have nothing to worry about...... At 20 weeks (4.6months) a German Shepherd pup should weigh between 41-50 lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the information!!! This is our first dog as a couple and we are relying on the information the vet and rescue agency has given us. We have done a lot of research, but there is so much out there its hard to know what to believe. I will definitely look into Canidae and hopefully it is available locally.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Your very welcome.... I know the feeling I have had dogs all my life and still get overwhelmed from time to time.... Good luck with your pup.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts