Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Chase, maltipoo
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently introduced my dog to puzzle toys. I was highly skeptical he would get them at first but turns out he’s smarter than I thought he was. He figured out most of them within a couple minutes and absolutely loves them. However I’m having trouble keeping up with his love for them as most of my treat bags finish within a week or less and I’m getting really tired of having to go out and buy multiple bags of treats. Does anyone know any high quality treats that are small enough to fit inside puzzle toys and come in large quantities? Right now I’m using Orijen and honest kitchen treats to fill his toys. I tried some veggies and fruits and his kibble but he’s not as interested in them as his treats.

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
What about making liver cake (or if you can't stand liver, I believe tuna can be substituted but I haven't used it myself).

The recipe I use -

A pack of liver (supermarket packs are usually about 500 grams)
About 250 grams of flour - I use gluten free as some dogs are gluten intolerant
1 egg
A slosh of olive oil or salmon oil for a glossy coat (optional)

Cut the liver into pieces and use a hand blender to blitz it with the egg until it's a sloppy mess. Stir in the oil if using and the flour. It still should be a sloppy mess.

Turn into a parchment lined baking tray measuring about 6"x9". It shold be about an inch deep.

Bake at 170 degrees for about 15 minutes until a knife comes out clean.

When it's cold, cut into finger sized pieces - half them again for a smaller dog - and freeze them in a freezer bag. They freeze in separate pieces so you can take out one at a time and break into smaller pieces for training.

Dogs love it, it has no sugar, salt or other nasties and lasts for weeks. It also is cheap to make - a recent survey showed some dog treats to be more epensive, ounce for ounce, than fillet steak.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Be careful with the liver.
Just start out with only a very small amount of this treat per day, because some dogs get diarrhea from even a small amount of liver. I prefer to make this kind of thing from water packed tuna or salmon, or even from chicken breast that I have boiled with no fat and then shredded into tiny pieces.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I also use other kibble brands and types for treats. They are different textures, different shapes. The only thing is I think they represent a higher calorie content per kibble compared to dog treat so I make sure to include that in his daily portion if I'm watching weight.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My reactive dog goes through a ton of treats - I make pyramid pan treats and then dehydrate them so they last longer. You can use different flavors and you can make a lot in a relatively short amount of time. There's a good Facebook group - I usually use some variation of the Kai's Dots recipe.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Awww too bad, link won't open for me
@Schnauzaluv
No formattting, so I won't charge you.... :ROFLMAO:

Dog Treats and Calories List Commercial Dog Treats Approx kcals/piece Milkbones Original 10 Puppy Biscuits 10 Small Biscuits 20 Medium Biscuits 40 Large Biscuits 115 Extra Large Biscuits 225 Gravy Bones Small/medium 35 Large 80 Flavor Snacks Small/medium 20 Large 80 Super Premium Chicken & Rice 10 MarOSnacks Crunchy Treat 30 Grillin' Bites Beef Steaks 30 Chicken Drumsticks 25 Alpo Liver Snaps 13 Al's Grill Riblets 36 Burgers 36 Steaks 16 Drumsticks 10 Greenies Original dental chew (teenie) 26 Original dental chew (petite) 56 Original dental chew (regular) 91 Original dental chew (large) 145 Original dental chew (jumbo) 273 Purina Beggin' Strips Bacon 30 Cheese & Bacon 30 Beef & Bacon 30 Beggin' Littles ~ Bacon 8 Beggin' Wraps Bacon & Beef 18 Bacon & Cheese 18 BusyBone DentaBone Small/medium 309 Large 600 Chewbone Small/Med 309 Large 618 Cheweez Chew Strips Savory Chicken 60 Hearty Beef Basted 60 Cheweez Chew Rolls w/Meaty Middles Savory Chicken Small 171 Large 211 Cheweez Chew Sticks Hearty Beef 23 Chewrific Twistems Beef & Cheese 45 Bacon & Cheese 45 TBonz Sizzlin Steak 42 Sizzlin Steak & Bacon 42 Tiny TBonz Steak 18 Purina One Adult Biscuits Beef & Rice 33 Lamb & Rice 30 Large Breed Biscuits Chicken & Rice 84 Healthy Weight Biscuits Turkey & Rice 26 Purina ProPlan Adult Biscuits Beef & Rice 35 Large Breed Biscuits Chicken & Rice 87 Senior Biscuits Turkey & Barley 34 Pedigree BreathBuster Small 28 Regular 49 DentaBones Small 105 Medium 188 Large 300 DentaStix Small 49 Regular 70 JumBone Small/Med 270 Regular 560 MarrowBone 39 Trainers 4.5 Meaty Bones Small Bones 27 Medium Bones 60 Large Bones 93 Miscellaneous PupPeroni 24 Snausages 25 Jerky Treats 21

·
Registered
953 Posts
@Schnauzaluv
No formattting, so I won't charge you.... :ROFLMAO:

Dog Treats and Calories List Commercial Dog Treats Approx kcals/piece Milkbones Original 10 Puppy Biscuits 10 Small Biscuits 20 Medium Biscuits 40 Large Biscuits 115 Extra Large Biscuits 225 Gravy Bones Small/medium 35 Large 80 Flavor Snacks Small/medium 20 Large 80 Super Premium Chicken & Rice 10 MarOSnacks Crunchy Treat 30 Grillin' Bites Beef Steaks 30 Chicken Drumsticks 25 Alpo Liver Snaps 13 Al's Grill Riblets 36 Burgers 36 Steaks 16 Drumsticks 10 Greenies Original dental chew (teenie) 26 Original dental chew (petite) 56 Original dental chew (regular) 91 Original dental chew (large) 145 Original dental chew (jumbo) 273 Purina Beggin' Strips Bacon 30 Cheese & Bacon 30 Beef & Bacon 30 Beggin' Littles ~ Bacon 8 Beggin' Wraps Bacon & Beef 18 Bacon & Cheese 18 BusyBone DentaBone Small/medium 309 Large 600 Chewbone Small/Med 309 Large 618 Cheweez Chew Strips Savory Chicken 60 Hearty Beef Basted 60 Cheweez Chew Rolls w/Meaty Middles Savory Chicken Small 171 Large 211 Cheweez Chew Sticks Hearty Beef 23 Chewrific Twistems Beef & Cheese 45 Bacon & Cheese 45 TBonz Sizzlin Steak 42 Sizzlin Steak & Bacon 42 Tiny TBonz Steak 18 Purina One Adult Biscuits Beef & Rice 33 Lamb & Rice 30 Large Breed Biscuits Chicken & Rice 84 Healthy Weight Biscuits Turkey & Rice 26 Purina ProPlan Adult Biscuits Beef & Rice 35 Large Breed Biscuits Chicken & Rice 87 Senior Biscuits Turkey & Barley 34 Pedigree BreathBuster Small 28 Regular 49 DentaBones Small 105 Medium 188 Large 300 DentaStix Small 49 Regular 70 JumBone Small/Med 270 Regular 560 MarrowBone 39 Trainers 4.5 Meaty Bones Small Bones 27 Medium Bones 60 Large Bones 93 Miscellaneous PupPeroni 24 Snausages 25 Jerky Treats 21
You are the best!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
My reactive dog goes through a ton of treats - I make pyramid pan treats and then dehydrate them so they last longer. You can use different flavors and you can make a lot in a relatively short amount of time. There's a good Facebook group - I usually use some variation of the Kai's Dots recipe.
I've used the pyramid pans too. You can make tons of itty-bitty treats for pennies. (Scary thought but in the future people will not understand what pennies are lol)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Pyramid treats are great, and I have used them many times. They don't freeze as well as I had hoped they would.......or, more to the point, one shouldn't freeze them for very long. Maybe a month at most.

The good thing about them is you control everything that goes into them. One thing I learned is that if you want them to pop out nicely and be soft, use tapioca flour, never wheat flour, and don't over cook them. Of course if you want them crunchy that's fine too. I always want my treats to be soft and very small because I treat my dogs while in action at times and I don't want them to have to stop to chew.
There are many recipes online for them. I have liked to use either chicken or cheese.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
At least 2 of us 😅
Why is it called a pyramid pan?
Because the treats come out in the shape of tiny little pyramids. The pan is not actually meant for that purpose originally. But the company caught on that people were buying them for that, and now they make them with tiny round indentations instead of triangular ones, and the treats can pop out more easily, I think. I don't know because I haven't ordered one of the round-hole ones, but I hear they work better.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Oh thanks so much! And duh, I thought they were little cubes lol!

@Madra Anamchara Why do you find they don't freeze well? Do you mean freeze to use as little frozen treats, or freeze them to make them last longer? And do you leave them in the pan? Or remove once frozen and transfer to a freezer bag?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
You always pop them out of the pan after they bake and put into a ziploc bag or a storage container. Then you can keep them for a while in the refrigerator.
I meant that you cannot keep them well for months in a freezer, in my experience. Only for a few weeks. After that it seems they lost their texture and the dogs didn't like them much.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
In the present, at least one of us didn't understand what a pyramid pan was and had to google it ... 😳
You're in the UK right? I'm in the Pyramid Pan Facebook group and a lot of the people in it are UK individuals, showing off their fancy Collory molds. :ROFLMAO: I don't think we can get those in the US. Not that I'm jealous or anything...

Pyramid treats are great, and I have used them many times. They don't freeze as well as I had hoped they would.......or, more to the point, one shouldn't freeze them for very long. Maybe a month at most.
I usually dehydrate mine. That way I can store them in a ceramic treat holder. I've also frozen them after dehydrating and they seem to keep fairly well and my boy will still eat them.

But yeah, they are awesome. So inexpensive, I can make huge batches and totally control what goes into them. If I make veggie ones, I can make the equivalent of a huge bag of treats for <$2, and I know they are healthy (and they are the right size, I don't have to cut them up).

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
I just looked online - it looks like Collory is a German company? I love the little paw shaped moulds but it's over €20 for a sheet, that seems rather a lot!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts