Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What some of the more laid-back dog breeds? My brain isn't working so hoping some of you can help my brain.

I haven't met many Newfies, and wondering what their like.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Anything in the hound group is generally more laid back. Some labs and goldens, although they can vary quite a bit. Pyrenees are also fairly laid back.

The newfies I've met are mostly laid back but also very picky and like their lives to be one particular way.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Took 2 years for Manna to realize that she's supposrd to be lazy.

I wouldn't call her picky...just a creature of habbit and a bit stubborn.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Pretty much every St. Bernard I've known has been incredibly laid back.

Leia is only 3.5 months so I can't really give a definitive answer but compared to Simba she a million times more laid back than he was at that age. She hasn't chewed on anything, she doesn't jump up on you, etc.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you have any questions about newfies, feel free to pm me. I'm at work right now on break but I can answer questions tonight

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything in the hound group is generally more laid back.
I'm looking to foster more laid-back dogs since Tynan doesn't like too rambunctious foster dogs as he's gotten older.

There aren't any breed specific rescues for Saints (which I would LOVE to foster for if there were one). There is one that takes in mostly large/giant breeds but they are far away but they don't work provincially. I'm too far away so they won't take me in as a foster home.

There's a Great Pyrenees rescue, but it seems like they don't get many dogs, same with the Kuvasz and other LGD's.

I love Hounds and think they are very beautiful, but to be honest I have had nothing but bad experiences with Hounds. I've had 2 Beagles, and 2 Basset Hounds (I only have 1 Basset now). My hounds were impossible to house train as 1 had terrible separation anxiety which made the others act up too. I just found that we don't mesh as well compared to other types of dogs. I do not hate them at all, don't get me wrong. It's just that i'm a bit weary of having more Hounds in my home so don't really want to foster Hounds.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think it depends on the individual dog. I've met dogs of the same breed and ones been totally laid back and the other just doesn't stop and has endless energy.

You might have to visit the dog first to see how laid back they are.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Well, what exactly do you mean by "laid back"? Lower energy, take-life-as-it-comes unflappable attitude, or both? Because there are quite a few breeds I can think of that are often one or the other but not so much both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts