Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking to do a dna test to be sure, but i wanted to know if others could roughly guess just by looking at some pictures.

weight 17lbs/ height 20 inchs

any quesses?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I want to say poodle mix mostly because lagotto's aren't that common (pending were you live). Though he may have some in him, but then again im horrible at guessing breeds when it comes to curly coats. Do you have any closer up side view photos of him?

I don't know much about lagotto's but if I rember correctly they normally weigh more then 17 pounds (I assume your guy is full grown). If he's not from a breeder I would say its unlikely but hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

Reactions: Larkspur

·
Registered
290 Posts
Agreed with Sabina. Also don't bother with a DNA test. They are notoriously inaccurate and a waste of money you could use to get useful or fun things for your dog.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I agree with everything that has already been said. Sabine is right about the size of a Lagatto, too. From the breed club website:

Size - Height at the withers: Dogs 17 to 19 inches, Bitches 16 to 18 inches. Tolerance of ½ inch. Disqualification - Dogs under 16½ inches or over 19½ inches. Bitches under 15½ inches over 18½ inches. Weight - Males 28 to 35 pounds. Females 24 to 31 pounds.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wish I could see the first photo better. Now I only see a blot that is supposed to be a dog on a beach.

The lagotto I know has a straight tail and so do the other lagottos I've seen and those that popped up in google image search.

The trim makes the OP dog's head look like lagotto, but you can do so much magic with clippers that no judgement should be made.

Is the size estimation correct? 17 lbs would make 7.7 kg and 20 in 51 cm. Which would mean a starved dog, no matter how long its legs were compared to its body. Or did you measure with the head? Dogs are usually measured behind the front legs at the level of their back/shoulders. For comparison, the lagotto I know is smallish compared to the breed standard ans she is 41 cm (16.1 in) at withers and weighs 12 kg (26 lbs) (my rough collie is 57 cm/23 kg (22.4 in/50.7 lbs)).

The puppy pic suggests your dog is chocolate & tan. Not unheard in water dog breeds but usually they are solid with or without white or yellow/cream.

The lagotto I know
There are someother pics posted by that username too. Notice that the lagotto has been bred in northern Europe. Some breeds look a bit different across the Atlantic and I don't know if this is one of them. Also, I don't know how heterogeneous lagottos are. This dog has barrel like body which I don't think would be typical for the breed but I haven't seen many, and less shaved or got my hands on them.

·
Registered
951 Posts
#1 just by going raw odds, the popularity of the poodle vs the rare lagotto makes poodle the smart guess

#2 poodle and lagotto are closely related breeds, so there wouldn't be much meaningful difference.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Well some say that the lagotto was used to create the poodle in the first place. With mixes its extremely hard to say especially with such relatively similar breeds but if lagottos are rare in your area I would bet on a poodle mix.

however im 100% that he is super cute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts