Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am choosing not to spay my now almost 7 month old dog at this time. I'm sure her first season will be coming up soon. I'm prepared with some purchased doggy panties that are secured with Velcro.
For those of you who have used these, how did you start off? I don't want her to be pulling and tugging to get them off, how did you get your dog used to wearing them?

·
Registered
811 Posts
My old girl leaks sometimes, she is on medication but still it does happen occasionally. So to save my carpets and furniture I thought I'd try 'bitch panties'. Well, they didn't fit. Then I read somewhere that babies nappies (diapers) make suitable protection (but need a hole cut for the tail). So I tried and they didn't fit properly, however nappies with the bitch panties on top seem to do the job.

I was really worried that she would rip them off, but she didn't. In fact she seemed to enjoy being dry.

So to get back to your question - I would start now just getting her accustomed to having something touch her back legs and private area. Then I would start sliding the panties up and down her back legs - the ones we have need one leg put in the leg hole before the tail goes in another hole, before they can be fastened round the waist. So I would just practice putting them on, a bit more every time, rewarding good reactions, until she looks forward to having them on. Then I would leave them on for a minute or so. Next time I would leave them on longer etc so by the time she needs them she would be OK with wearing them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
When my mini had her cycle we tried the doggie dippers but the didn't really fit. She has such a tiny tail that it didn't remotely fit in the tail hole, and I think the ones we got really needed to have a tail through the tail hole to fit right.
I tried boxers next and those worked really well. All I had to do was tie the top with a eleastic to keep it tight and to keep it from falling off. Its also nice to be able to wash them and reuse them as much as needed. They were a bit big on her in length, but I think they were more comfortable and she didn't seem to mind them at all and she could still keep herself clean.
I never really got her used to wearing anything since I wasn't expecting her to be having her cycle before she got spayed and i got the doggy underwear/boxers after she started. But I never had an issue with her trying to tug them off, i think part of that might lie in the individual dog, some might some might not.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Alva does not usually leak so much that she would need pants but she had to wear such at a training facility once. Alva is pretty patient so I just put them on her, checked that they were properly adjusted, and we were ready to go. She probably thought that the garment was just a weirder sort of harness.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is in her first season and I had no cause for worry, she is wearing the diaper/panties with no problem. I put a disposable pad made for women on the inside which helps, so when we go outside I take off the diaper and just put on a fresh pad when we go back inside and just change out the diaper once a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.