Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it seems that Sawyer may be lactose intolerant. Hes had a upset tummy which I've beeen treating over the week with bioled ground beef and rice. He seemed to be doing better and pooping normaly by the end of the week. But today he woke up with a bad case of diahrea and just in general not feeling well. As far as I can tell he's feeling better now and hasn't asked to go out to the bathroom since (I'm also fasting him now so I'm sure that's helping). So its back to bland food for a bit. I know it could be any number of things that caused this since it was right after being sick. But apperently my mom gave him 2 slices of cheese (I think from a block) yesterday and I gave him the remains of my yogurt partialy because he likes it and because I thought it would be good for his stomach. Thursday-saterday he seemed to be fine eating mostly his normal food (mixed with some bland), and some of milk bones/training treats (zukes). I know he did have some human food but verry little and it didn't seem to bother him at all. He actually had a small amount of shredded cheese on Friday when I dropped some on the floor and it didn't seem to bother him. I think yesertday was the most dairy he's had in a awhile (he rarely gets dairy) and even then it wasn't a lot. So I wonder if he's only able to tolerate small/tiny amounts of dairy.
I do find it kind of suprising since when I had to give him eye drops a few weeks ago I gave him a slice of cheese as a reward/CCing (for I think 3-4 days in a row) since he has such a hard time with it. But he never had a problem aftrer eatimg the cheese. Then again they can develoup alergies at any time after they satrted eating something.
For now I'll continue with his bland diet, cut out all dairy for about a week after he's all better. Then reintroduce it to see if that was the problem. Thankfully if it is dairy, its not hard to cut out and aviod.
Does anyone else have a dog who can't tolerate dairy?

·
Registered
562 Posts
It never occurred to me that dogs could be lactose intolerant, or develop it down the road (like I seem to have...*sigh*), probably because none of the dogs I've had ever had any issues... :eek: Heh. Anyway, I read on an interesting article on the DogFoodAdvisor site which had a nifty chart (copied below) on how many grams of lactose are in a few different dairy products. Interestingly, he also states that MOST dogs can't reliably digest lactose.

Anyway, according to this chart, it would take quite a hefty amount to really tip the balance for a dog, I would think...? I mean, I use cheese in some form or another in my three dogs' diets; for pills mostly. I've been lucky, I think, as far as any food intolerances in the dogs that I've had! (A couple have made up for that with other issues, but what can you do. :))

·
Registered
502 Posts
Most adult dogs are lactose intolerant, simply because they don't have it and they become that way. But from what I've heard/experienced, it takes quite a bit to make them sick, more than a few pieces of cheese. Especially since cheese is extremely low in lactose. I have personal experience with that as I'm lactose intolerant as well. However it could be possible that it's worse for him than most dogs.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just found out from my mom that she gave him more cheese then I thought she did. I wonder if its a certain kind of dairy product that bothers him. He's also had some cottage cheese before without issue, same with yogurt. But with me, I usually let him lick the rest of it out of the container after im done and maybe share a small amount (about a teaspoon at most).

I had also read when I did some looking that most dogs are lactose intolerant, like ChessaQ said.

But then again he does tend to have kind of a sensitive stomach. Even eating a bit to much apple may end up in soft poop. He does also has some other foods that he cant have (I think its either mild allergies, or mild food intolerance). Or possibly it was just to much lactose after being sick and his tummy wasn't completely ready for it. Hopefully cutting out dairy until he's %100 better then reintroing it will give me a better idea on were he stands with potential lactose intolerance.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Zody's weird with dairy products. From what I've observed he can tolerate it if I give him a little bit and only do so every couple of days skipping days in between, but if I give him a little bit few days in a row he will get soft poo.

He LOVES cheese, but I learned the hard way that I can only give him a couple little pieces of it and to not do so every day. Same with yogurt, I have to watch how much I give him.

It sounds to me like your dog got overloaded with the cheese. When you reintroduce it I'd start slow and increase how much he gets gradually, that way you'll know how much is to much.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Generally, dogs ARE lactose intolerant. Being able to tolerate lactose after weaning is actually very unique to human beings, particularly those of European ancestry. It was an evolutionary adaptation that people from Europe developed at some point during their history. The vast majority of lactose intolerant people can handle dairy in small quantities....But they can't chug milk the way I can. I can easily drink a quart in a day and have absolutely zero issues. My bf can handle cheese in meals, but if he drinks a glass of milk or eats a lot of ice cream, there are usually repercussions. Not severe. But enough to be pretty obvious that his body would rather not have dairy.

Anyway, some dogs handle lactose better than others. But ultimately, it's typical for it to cause digestive upset in larger quantities. Same with most adult people. A more sensitive dog may not be able to handle much at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts