Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm posting this as part of my "research" before getting a dog. I'm looking to get a lab or golden retriever - adoption so it won't be a puppy.

I have a garden in the yard that I don't want to fence, and will be building a new vegie garden that I will probably fence.

How do I train a dog to be well behaved with the garden beds?

As a teenager we had 2 labs, and my parents solution for these two unruly untrained labs was fencing. Given a chance they would lie all over the garden beds and flatten plants, or simply run over the beds when playing.

I'll have just one dog, I'll be training it, giving it walks each day etc. But specifically what can I do to ensure it stays off the beds even when I'm not watching?

Naturally I'll be making the garden beds robust, avoiding small vulnerable plants, but I can't see myself living with fencing around all the garden!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Well, I'm posting this as part of my "research" before getting a dog. I'm looking to get a lab or golden retriever - adoption so it won't be a puppy.

I have a garden in the yard that I don't want to fence, and will be building a new vegie garden that I will probably fence.

How do I train a dog to be well behaved with the garden beds?

As a teenager we had 2 labs, and my parents solution for these two unruly untrained labs was fencing. Given a chance they would lie all over the garden beds and flatten plants, or simply run over the beds when playing.

I'll have just one dog, I'll be training it, giving it walks each day etc. But specifically what can I do to ensure it stays off the beds even when I'm not watching?

Naturally I'll be making the garden beds robust, avoiding small vulnerable plants, but I can't see myself living with fencing around all the garden!

management.... you may need to put up fencing at first while the dog learns the behavior, OR you must supervise him outside 24/7 until he learns the behavior.

Reward basically anything that ISN'T being in the flower beds. If he jumps in them simply guide him out silently and reward him once hes out. Its important not to make a fuss while doing it.... you want flowerbeds=boring.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I have been working with my dog to "stay out" of areas he shouldn't be in during off leash walks. I started by training "let's go" (basically head in the same direction I am, now) and "this way" (cue for which side of an obstacle to walk on, great for walks on a long, loose leash) and "out" (stay out of whatever space can be defined ie kitchen or a neighbor's yard etc) by combining these I have been fairly successful at keeping him out of restricted areas. sometimes even a small barrier like a flower garden barrier fence is enough for your dog to recognize it as a "room" or space and then recognoze that he is not allowed there. I would say that it absolutely would depend on the dog. I think many golden retriever's have the ability to learn to stay out, but just as many would not. Good Luck!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts