Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 18 weeks old tomorrow and he refuses to come when called. He won't even acknowledge his name when called if he's doing something he's interested in (rolling in dead frog, roaming tall brush/grass, running to the creek). These things are all things he's not suppose to do. Actually, for the most part, when he's outside he doesn't think he has to listen. Inside though, he's the best dog. I'm just getting real tired of playing a game of chase every time I take him out to potty. Any tips? Please help.

·
Registered
813 Posts
At 18 weeks I wouldn't expect a perfect recall when there are so many interesting things around. When taking g him out to potty put him on a leash so he can't get away. Then teach a recall outside of your house (on a leash or a long line) without distractions. Never give him the chance to get away. Once he understands he has to come when called without distractions, take him little close to distractions. And so on. Good recall takes time and patience. And there will be failures. But perfection doesn't happen overnight.

So stop feeling negative, get some very tasty treats and get training. I'm sure there are 'sticky threads' on this forum, explaining recall training in more detail. There are also recall videos online by trainers such as kikopup. Good luck, have fun training your best friend.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So simply stop letting him off leash :)

Practice on a long line or flexi and allow him to roam. When he doesn't come back when you call him, reel him in so he has no option. Give him a high value snack and then try again until he realizes he has no option but to come back.

The goal is to get that mindset to be on autopilot so he just comes back.

If you're having to chase him, he likely sees being caught as something bad. Such as being scolded for rolling in dead frog or being leashed and taken from the cool dead frog.

I always would play a fun game of tug or something with Cosmo when he got on leash paired with a tasty treat, so he viewed leash time as a good thing that didn't end fun. That may be the problem with your pup :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Having no perfect recall is totally normal for such a young dog. just keep training everyday at home and outside. Call their name and when they're coming there's a reward for them. find something he finds really awesome, like playing with a specific toy or a treat they like a lot.

Please make sure, as long as the recall is still not that good, don't let your dog run around outside off-leash.
I just heard of a young puppy in my neighbourhood being killed by a car, because it was off-leash and ran over the street to meet another dog. :(

don't use a flexi, because they can be dangerous for people. they're difficult to see in the dark and can leave ugly cuts and burns. I know they're more convenient than a long leash (5-10 m length), but a traditional leash is less dangerous for yourself and others.

You can also train in fenced areas first, when training off-leash. If he comes back when called: Party! :D
the positive thing is in that case, that he you don't have to leash him after calling, so doesn't connect the recall with getting back on the leash.

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
18 weeks?...you will be lucky to get a solid recall before 2 years old with a lot of intense training. The outside world in new and exciting. You have to be more exciting for him to come back to you.

Keep him on a leash.

My tip: don't set your expectations too high. Your puppy is still literally a newborn in the grans scheme of things. Good behavior is not instinctual...it must be taught.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts