Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here and appreciate any insight you guys may be able to offer.

My dog Bullet is a 13-year-old black lab male. This morning he got up and went outside to potty, and I went back to bed. Later when I got up to let him in he was laying in the yard where he normally lays, but he couldn't get up. His hind legs didn't seem to work. He could put some weight on one leg, but the other kept collapsing, and the toes would curl under when he would put any pressure on the leg.

I helped him inside. He laid down for about an hour, and then got up and started walking around again. He was fine for several hours and went back outside, and the same thing happened again. He can move his legs, he just can't stand up on them, then it goes away, then it comes back.

He doesn't act like he's in pain (wimpering, refusal to try to get up, etc.). I fed him after the first incident, and his appetite was normal - he's a voracious eater - and he's otherwise acting completely normal. The vet says his weight is healthy, and he has no underlying problems. In fact, he still acts like a young pup despite his age. This is the first time he has exhibited any problems at all - he has never even exhibited any arthritis symptoms.

The same thing happened with my 12-year-old Golden Retriever two months ago. He was down all day until early afternoon, and then he just up and started walking around again and has never had another issue with this.

Has anyone else experienced this? Ideally, I would take him to the vet, but it is Sunday, and it seems to come and go. I am so hopeful someone has an idea of what may be going on. Thank you so much!! Sorry for the long post...

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
The curling of the toes indicates neurological issues, meaning something in his spinal chord or less likely but still possible, in his brain.

He needs to see the vet for sure.
It may not be an emergency, but I would be calling the vet in the morning and asking for an appointment asap.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Good! We will be awaiting your update!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll do that. He's continued to be the same way all day. He can walk for a bit, and then his legs give out. He lays down for a while, and then he can walk again for a few minutes. He's still eating well and doesn't act like he uncomfortable. Resting peacefully next to me as I type...

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Tick Paralysis was on my list, too, as was an FCE...

Could also be syncope or small seizure like episodes. Glad he's going to the vet for an exam,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: The vet x-rayed Bullet's back, and he has been diagnosed with spondylosis. I am going to do some reading on this, obviously, but from what the vet showed me on the x-rays, it's kind of like little bone growths on the vertebrae that grow out as if to "bridge" across from one vertebrae to the next. These growths can pinch the nerves in the spine and cause loss of coordination. Bullet's are in the lumbar region, so it's only affecting his hind end right now. She said it's probably been developing for years and that he may have had some extra inflammation in there yesterday that caused it to manifest.

The vet prescribed Rimadyl for inflammation, Tramadol for pain management, and Dasuquin for joints / arthritis. They said to try to get him to rest as much as possible for the next couple of weeks, and then to start re-introducing some activity after that if he seems to be doing better. I'm so relieved to know what's going on.

He's actually getting around much better today than he did yesterday, and has not fallen down at all yet. You can still notice some mild lack of coordination / floppiness in his hind legs. I'm just so glad that I can still have my sweet boy with me for at least a little bit longer. :) I love him so much...

Hopefully I have updated this picture correctly. Sam on the left, and Bullet on the right.

MVC-004F (5).jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts