Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just need some input from people. I have a 4 year old cat that I rescued last year. He is a great cat, but I also am looking at getting a dog. The cat is usually fine around dogs, it runs and hides usually from my friends dog(miniature poodle).

A few days ago I found this Lab Retriever / Husky mix at our local humane society. He is just a wonderful dog. VERY playful, loves to be pet and plays with his toys. He is 10 months old and still has the puppy energy. I am terrified though to take him since he has husky in him and I know huskys and cats do not go together.

I have been visiting this dog for the last couple days and I am trying to figure out what to do. I asked the shelter if he was ok with cats and they didn't know. They said he is very hyper and loves playing with other dogs and gets a little rough with them, but nothing on cats.

Anyone have any advice? experience? I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thank you:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS it is a Black Labrador Retriever mixed with an Alaskan Husky. Not sure if there is a difference with Alaskan Husky mix and Siberian Husky Mix...

Please help :(

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Are you prepared to handle a dog that has husky in it? From what I understand, purebred huskies are not for the first time or inexperienced dog owner. They need lots of exercise (and I'm probably underselling just how much they need) and they're escape artists. Just to name a few characteristics of a husky. Labs, however, are great dogs for practically anyone.
Do some research on the breeds before you make a decision, and know that you could get any mix of tenperment and characteristics of the two breeds.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
If your cat runs and hides from your friend's dog it might not really be fine around dogs. If you decide to get the dog you've been considering, be sure you provide your cat with a safe room or place that the dog can't get to. Don't ever leave the dog and cat unsupervised. There are several threads on this site with other advice if you do a search.

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
Putting together a cat that runs and hides from a miniature poodle together with a high-energy, very hyper husky mix that likes to play rough with other dogs doesn't strike me as a particularly hopeful one.

Have you spoken to anyone at the humane society yet about doing some temperament testing on the dog? Also, would they allow you to bring him home for a couple of days for a test-run before signing permanent adoption papers?

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
Putting aside the issue of the cat, I'd like to suggest that you do more research on what bringing home a "super playful, very hyper" husky mix would be like. Here's a thread in which another new member inquired about whether a husky would be right for him:

http://www.dogforum.com/new-additions/i-cant-decide-if-i-should-103778/

It's not clear from your post whether you've had much dog experience before. If you've never had your own dog before, this one might not be the best starter dog for you. You need to carefully consider what your living situation is like and how much time and energy you have to devote to a new dog.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Saw lab and husky in the thread title and thought... HOOOO BOY that is gonna be a handful. Huskies: high energy + independent, hard to train and labs: high energy + destructive when bored.

Seriously guy, leave this dog for an experienced owner who knows what they are getting into!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Huskies are HIGH, HIGH, HIGH prey drive. The huskies I puppysit are amazing, loving, fabulous dogs, but they have caught and killed birds, moles, and rats. They are extremely high energy. These huskies are run twice a day in their yard, and let out to pull their sled or carriage at least once or twice a week -- more when the weather's right. They need a job, they need to pull, and if they get loose they will never look back until they're soundly lost.

That said, I do adore these dogs. They are funny, sweet, good with people, and when they are properly exercised and trained they make great pets. But I would not recommend a husky or husky mix to a first time owner who doesn't have a serious job for them.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
With all the Huskies I've had in my time, and I mean more than 30+, I have never had any luck raising a husky with a cat, those two just don't mix. Trust me.

I think I'd be looking for another pup to add to the mix if I were in your shoes.
I don't want to see a disaster in the making.

·
Registered
537 Posts
As a person with a husky, lab, and cats, it sounds like not the right timing. Huskies and labs can be raised with cats but you would want cats that understand young dogs. That means they stand their ground and do not run. Then you want socialization to occur in critical first 12 weeks and thereafter for the dog. Even with this some dogs prey drive is too high to manage and permanent separation is needed. Combining this with the fact that you are dealing with a teenager dog complicates it more. Even if you make it all work it is usually recommend you crate huskies when leaving for safety if cats and this is what may last many more years.

Being someone who loves larger high dogs like huskies and labs as well as cats, I would always look to getting a puppy in the 8-12 week range or getting 2 year old plus dog who has been tested. I honestly would not even want to socialize 10 month lab with cats.

·
Registered
862 Posts
considering its not a full husky, not even half. it could always work. a alaskan husky is a cross in itself. its not a breed but a mixture of other breeds.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you EVERYONE for your posts! I read everyone's replies and have been working on my cat with my friends dog. He has had a full turn around and loves to play with the dog. I don't know what his deal was, but once he saw that he wasn't a threat he let loose. (Granted when we pet the dog he goes and bats the dog away from us and then wants us to pet him).

However, I had to turn down from taking the Lab/Husky. A family also applied for this dog and I withdrew from my application since I thought it would be better for a family dog then with just living with me.

Still keeping an eye out though, and in the meantime working on my cat some more. Going to test out my grandma's Airdale next weekend and see how that goes over.

Thanks again everyone, learned a lot that I didn't know before.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If it helps any my dog that was easiest to cat socialize is also least reactive to laser pointer toys. You can also lookup greyhound cat testing as it is probably the best reading I did to confirm my husky is in trainable group (some are not). I think the read applies to all breeds as any dog can be a cat killer.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it helps any my dog that was easiest to cat socialize is also least reactive to laser pointer toys. You can also lookup greyhound cat testing as it is probably the best reading I did to confirm my husky is in trainable group (some are not). I think the read applies to all breeds as any dog can be a cat killer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Very interesting read, thank you for that :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
I think you've made the right decision. It sounds like that dog will be getting a great family, and you'll have a bit more time to research breeds, see how your cat responds to different dogs, and pick out a calmer dog with less of a prey drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We adopted a puppy 2 months ago that the rescue labeled as a lab/husky mix. We are having big training issues with him, but one of our biggest problems has been with our sweet, old cat. He is absolutely terrorizing our cat. I had no idea huskies were so anti-cat until this thread. Assuming our puppy is part husky, that sure does explain a lot. :(

Our cat is very understanding of dogs, we've fostered a ton and usually he says "hey, I'm boss here!" on day 1 and the dogs always leave him alone. This puppy just will not relent though. I think passing on the lab/husky pup is definitely a good idea. Good luck finding the perfect match for you though! Knowing what I do now, I'd definitely do my puppy search much differently. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts