Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd join since I would be on here anyways with our new puppy maggie. For my first post I want to get everyone's opinion on what breed she is primarily. Family friends of ours had a litter and their dog is a small white female lab. I don't think she is purebred because her head is even smaller than a regular female lab. The father of our maggie, although I have never saw him, I'm told is a mastiff and has some boxer in him. There were 4 pups in the litter and she was the only black. Two of them resembled what an English mastiff and a brindle mastiff are in colour, and the last was yellow lab colour. Our pup is the only black one. She just turned 11 weeks and weighs exactly 20 lbs. She had a lot of loose skin at 6 weeks but seems to havw grown into it a bit. Still has some though especially around her neck and back. I tried to measure her (hard because at this age she is excited lol) and I got roughly 12 or 13 inches from the floor to her shoulder. I'll attach some pics. The first one is at 6 weeks. The next one in the grass is about 7 or 8 weeks. The most current pic of her eating (only time she would stay still for the camera) is at 11 weeks exactly today.

I just want everyone's opinion on what breed they think she is. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Oh what a sweetie! It's so hard to tell at such a young age, I couldn't even make a guess, but maybe it will become more obvious as she gets older.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh what a sweetie! It's so hard to tell at such a young age, I couldn't even make a guess, but maybe it will become more obvious as she gets older.
Thanks for replying! Hopefully we get a better idea sometime. She goes to the vet for her second round of shots this Friday so maybe they will tell us more. The last time she was there she was only 6 weeks old.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm so envious of you having a puppy - I'm too old now to take on a pup, but I just love that puppy smell and the excitement of making a new friend and getting to grips with their personality. Enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
To me she looks pit or mastiff and lab maybe, probably will look more like a little thinner, taller pit when older. She has that wide Stance with a semi lab head. She is a cutie either way and will most likely be healthier overall and. Not sure why I am giving my opinion since I just posted Friday a puppy I got and I am confused why mine is 1.5 pounds at 8 weeks and was told she is a full size aussie(45+:pounds) mixed with german shepherd(60+), so a german australian shepherd that should be 10-16 pounds at 8 weeks. I will end up doing a DNA test to check what she is, just did one on my mini aussie to check if he had the MDR1 mutation and he does, so the $70 I paid for the dna test confirmed he is purebred and I can feel safe knowing he will not get any medications that can kill him. Good luck with your sweet girl, I forgot how much energy puppies have. I'm 54 and glad I got her now, she's running me ragged, can't even sleep a steady night lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts