Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum!
My first post. I came here as part of my preparation for getting my first dog. I grew up in a family with 2 labs - I've always loved labs. Now I'm thinking of getting either a lab or a golden retriever. But just a thought. Are there other dogs that I should consider that are similar?

What am I looking for? I'd like a dog with the social temperament of a lab, one easily trained but not too hyperactive!

My parent's labs were never properly trained, and they had to put fences over all the garden, especially the vegie garden. I have both types of garden, and I'll fence the vegie patch, but I don't want to fence the entire garden. Most of the back yard is yet to be landscaped.

One of my challenges is to get the right dog and train it so that the garden doesn't get damanged all the time. Obviously I'll try to make it a relatively robust garden.

So, I'd like to broaden my dog breed choice horizons! Should I consider other dogs? I'd even consider something smaller, although I favour medium to large.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If the dogs primary home is going to be outside, I honestly can't recomend any dog.

If thats NOT the case...then perhaps retrieving breeds are to demanding and you should think about perhaps a non working breed. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
My daughter has a 3 year old golden retriever and no longer has a garden!!! In fact, it is a hazard going out into her garden because the holes are so deep. Kirby is great when I have him with me at home. No problems whatsoever. GR need to be close with humans.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I remember a neighbor lost their GR and we found him and brought him into our fenced side yard while we called his owner. During the five minutes that we waited for the owner, he was digging in our garden...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts