Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyras a 9 month old Jack Russell/Min Pin mix.
Her old owner said she had just shed her puppy coat (though I have never seen a dog do this?! I have read about it?!... Anybody clarify?)
Anywho, her fur is now very thin and she has quite dry skin. It is thinnest on top of her head and her back. Feet/neck/legs and tail are fine, though still has dry skin. I was just wondering if this is common on the Min Pin side? I haven't seen a JR with thin fur before. Oh and she also has a beard that runs down her neck. Never seen either MP or JR have this, so maybe another mix in there aswell, possibly Yorkshire terrier? But then they don't have thin fur either.... I am just worried it won't ever get thicker, as she shivers a lot through cold.
Thank you :D

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Hm... I might ask your vet next time you are there to take a look. A puppy does not normally have skin showing through, even with a transition to an adult coat.

I'm starting to wonder if she has a food sensitivity, perhaps to chicken, or to grains in her food? Not enough evidence yet, but its something to keep in mind. Having dry skin and fur falling out, and also vomiting up chicken, it is possible.
How are her ears? Do they need cleaning a lot?

What sort of food has she been getting? Well, I guess since its going to be a UK brand, I would be unfamiliar, but you could check the ingredients to see what is in it?

Do you have pics?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Ditto Tess assuming you mean that your pup is actually balding.:)
Ruling out medical causes such as allergies and also talking to your vet about your concerns is always a good idea!;)

Another possibility might be CDA (Color Dilution Alopecia) which is especially common in blue Min Pins.
I looked at Kyra's profile (she is adorable!;)) and she appears to be blue (not sure if it was the lighting???).
CDA affects the melanin in a dogs coat. It results in weak hair shafts causing the hair to break very easily.
I'm not sure if CDA would be something that could affect a Min Pin mix, but I thought it would be worth mentioning!:)

However, if her skin is actually covered with fur, but it is just very short and close lying (min pins normally have a very short single layer coat) then I wouldn't worry too much! Min Pins are not very tolerant of cold. Their low body fat and coat type do not offer much protection! Many Min Pin owners (myself included) dress their dogs in coats and other clothing to help keep them warm. ;)

As for the beard...
Did you see the JRT parent? Perhaps it was a wirehaired/rough coated JRT like this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tess- I think she may of just had an off morning that day, I gave her a chicken mixer and she kept that down fine. I'm thinking because she didn't go potty that morning it may have made her sick. At the moment I'm putting a bit of "adult" food into her puppy mix, It's Pedigree puppy dry food. I am buying the adult pouches and just adding a tiny bit into it in her evening meal. I don't think she has any allergies, her old owner said she could eat pretty much anything as they had a beagle who was wheat intolerant. Her ears are fine as well.

Kmes - I wonder if she is a mix with a Blue Min Pin as she has that sort of colouring. Her skin is covered with fur, it's just very thin on the top of her head, ears and back. I think maybe how she was mixed could contribute to this?
Unfortunately I didn't see the parents. I adopted her from a lady who couldn't keep her any more as she had to move. But she said she was a JRT x Min Pin. She thought maybe some YT but wasn't sure. I, myself would have asked the breeder but hey hoe, can't do anything about it now. I have got a coat for her, for when it is cold, but it's slowly going to summer here so it's nice and warm for the moment, so we haven't had the chance to wear it yet. I didn't think about the wire haired JRT's. My Mum's is like that so maybe she is just JRT x Min Pin.
It doesn't seem to affect her, she shivers a bit when it's a bit cold, and scratches a bit, so I think I'll look into something for the dry skin. I think it's more me worrying than her caring? :)

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
From the pics I could see, she does not look overly "bald". Min-pins do shiver a lot at the slightest cool breeze, so you may just be dealing with something simple like that!

Puppy sweaters for sure. ;)

Yeah, and with regards to the throwing up... puppies spit up a lot, kind of like babies, maybe because they are often getting into lots of things while we are not looking, such as sticks and grass and pine cones and bits of trash on the floor etc. So unless its a pattern, I would not worry about it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts