Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought about reviving my old thread in the training journal, but then I want to get some ideas from you guys on how you preceive Kuma's behavior with his body language.

As you all know, I had posted a video of Kuma's 'loves car rides' and it involved him on the floor of the van, curled in a tight ball, shaking/shivering, and looking like we had just finished beating him. I can't for the life of me find that video. But for those of you who don't know, nothing would move him from that spot. Human food treats (His high value), coaxing, sweet baby talk, nothing.

Well, with advice from you guys, counter conditioning was the way to go. To change his mind about how he is feeling to something amazing. And I will say, it is still a long way to go, but at least he is no longer shivering when he goes onto the floor of the van, even in winter.

Anyways, I think this is a combination of counter condition and that it's winter right now, but hey, it is still better then on the floor of the van.

You will see him curled up on the seat, but I am unsure how he is feeling based of his body language. He looks relaxed, but then again, maybe I'm not seeing he might be worried. You will see through out the video that he will perk up and go to the window and stand on his hind legs to look outside with the van moving. He will go down to the seat and you will see, he wanted to go back down on the floor, but decided against it and went to the other side of the window nad did the same thing, then went to curl up on his spot on the seat.

That's the part I can't really read. Is he doing that because he's worried/uncomfortable? Or is it, he is feeling brave and comfortable enough to take a peek outside? Anyways, I'm glad with the results so far. He still does prefer the floor, but at least he seems comfortable enough to sit on the seat.

https://youtu.be/f5OAgmZ55ZM

My next goal is to have one of his favorite blankets that he sleeps on, in the vehicle on the seat. I'm hoping now that he knows it's his blanket, he will be more inclinded to lay on the seat vs on the floor along with very high value treats. Remember my ultimate goal is to allow Kuma on the seat where he will be in a harness seatbelt.

Also, I want to thank you guys for the input so far. I don't know what I would have done without it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The unrest to me (he puts his head down, it pops right back up, he continues scanning) is a anxious reaction. My dog loves jumping into the car but hates once it is moving and will go from window to window in the back seat, yawn, and pant. While Kuma looks like he isn't hating it, he also doesn't seem entirely comfortable.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. It's nice to have a pair of fresh eyes. At least he is getting better. OK, now, heavy high value treats. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: TruckersMom
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.