Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have yet to figure out a way to stuff these where the dogs CAN'T get everything out in under five minutes. We're talking freezing it solid in broth too. I've tried just about everything that's googleable and yet the long-term busywork these are SUPPOSED to provide simply doesn't happen. It's a 5 minute toy then they're bored again.

Anyone else running into this problem?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Reactions: Shandula

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you had the spiral bowls for? Is it still as long now to get through it as it had been when you first tried it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
@Redwood, have you tried freezing in layers? I usually do a layer of chunky things- like apples mixed with peanut butter, and then a layer of looser things- like mushed up banana, yogurt, pumpkin puree or apple sauce. I also jam the looser/softer things in quite tight. I find that having layers of textures means the dog has to keep switching up their tactic. So even if they can get a clump of apple chunks out in a minute, they then have to lick through another 3 minutes of yogurt or banana to get to the next clump of apples which are frozen together with peanut butter.

I also bought those fancy cocktail spherical icecube moulds. In layers I freeze water. Then once its solid, I freeze a layer of cheese + water. When that's solid, I freeze a layer of apple chunks + water....and so forth. That lasts about 10 minutes and the layering ensures the dog doesn't walk away when it's melted part of the icecube away to get to the food.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have tried freezing in layers. It doesn't take them any longer to eat those than non-frozen unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have five different sized Kongs. I pack them full of canned dog food and freeze them and it keeps them entertained for quite a while, haven't ever timed it as I use them when I have to go out and they are in crates. They never use them for chew toys so if your dogs don't chew on them, maybe try a smaller one as they have all different sized holes in them and I know when I get home, the bigger ones are all empty but they are still working on the ones with the smaller holes in them.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think ben would eat a smaller kong whole. He's tried a couple times with the big ones!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I sometime shove a dog biscuit that verges on too large for the main hole into the middle of all the wet food I've frozen inside, makes it a little tougher. I've also hidden frozen kongs, usually only one, in my house for Tessa to find.

I also have this:
KONG Genius Mike - KONG
I usually shove biscuits or Kong ziggies shoved into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts