Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked about before. Sorry for the repeat question!

Anyways, I just got my first Kong chew in the mail today, yay! I have never owned a Kong before, but I figured it was about time that I got one after hearing so much good about it. I figure it will be good for any needy or anxious foster dogs I get.

So, what does everyone stuff their Kong with? What have you found to work best, favorite recipes?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I stuff my kongs with peanut butter most of the time. But if I want more of an extended play time with the kong I layer wet dog food, whole milk natural yogurt and peanut butter and put it in the freezer. My dog loves it and it takes her 30-45 minutes to get it all out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I fill mine with kibble, a little bit of coconut oil and then switching between plain yoghurt, pumpkin or peanut butter.

It gets frozen and then my girl is busy for 20-30 minutes. If I would mix the kibble with the yoghurt or pumpkin, so get it frozen inside out, it would probably take her longer, but at the moment I still do it in "layers" (she sometimes loses interest when it takes too long to get to something).

Reactions: LoveMyFosters

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I usually don't fill them entirely with PB - lots of sugar in the store bought stuff. You also have to watch out now since some brands are sweetening with products that aren't safe for dogs.

Also in small amounts: yogurt, coconut oil, fish oil, pumpkin, banana, anything sweet.

I usually buy canned dog food as an emergency filler. It goes in well and freezes easily.

Other things I fill with are shredded carrots, lettuce, celery, cucumber, kibble, watermelon, boiled chicken, ground beef, turkey, chicken, pork, cubed pork, fish, oranges, apple, etc. Usually a mix of 2 items, and I try to layer with different textures. Pretty much anything edible, and frequently leftovers.

ALWAYS freeze the kong. They're just too easy otherwise. You also want to make sure you use a chopstick or similar so that you can see that the hole on the other end is open-sometimes with kongs it can create a vacuum where the dog's tongue gets stuck. This is fairly simply prevented by just making a hole yourself. Make sure to not feed with a chopstick in it though! I find it's easiest to make sure the hole is there, freeze with the chopstick for 15 minutes, take the chopstick out and then freeze further. If the chopstick is left too long and gets stuck you can thaw it for a bit and pull it out, then re-freeze, and it should still have the hole.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like to use real peanut butter (just on the inner wall off the kong) and some banana. I also sometimes use canned pumpkin instead of the PB.

You can also freeze the kong for extended play!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sometimes, I put cheese in my dogs kong mixed with kibbles. However, I have to be careful not to put too much or else it upsets her tummy. She LOVES it though. I mostly just do peanut butter/kibble.

I'm so glad I read this thread and found the idea to freeze the kongs. Such a good idea. I'll have to get a few more and always have them ready.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts