Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a thread about hand-taming Koda, but since shes doing pretty well with that I figured I should just make her a regular thread. So here is the official thread for my bird!

Also, this will be a thread for my future birds as well. My parents are thinking about turning the second story of our garage into an apartment for me. If they do this I am thinking I will get another bird. Im not sure what kind but I would love, love, LOVE to have an eclectus. Feel free to share any ideas with me, talk about your own birds, and check in now and then to see updates on Koda!

Basically, this is my bird-obsession thread, lol :thumbsup:

Considering a new feathered friend? Check out DJ Feathers, my friend got her bird from there and she said she will be getting all of her future birds there as well. This aviary has many great reviews!

DJ Feathers Aviary - Hand-fed Parrots & Avian Products - Caiques Conures Cockatiels Macaws Senegals Amazons

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I'm so jealous I don't seem to have the bird touch. They won't let me take them out of the cage. They do talk to me (chirp). Birds are so much harder than dogs.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AllieD, they sure are! It took me about a year to get this far with Koda. I take the top off of her small cage and she flies out and then I can pick her up. But she wont let me take her out when shes on my finger. She is now in her huge cage and it is harder to get her out... but once she is out she will sit with me :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I loove budgies, I can't wait until I can get some! I just don't know if I'll get budgies or a cockatiel first, when I'm ready for birds lol. I've got a few years to think about it though :p
@AllieD I know a website with really good taming tips for budgies, if you want me to PM you the link. But yeah, I've heard it's really slow going, and even slower if you have more than one because they tend to bond to each other more.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I would love that link. when I was doing research some sites said best to only get one for bonding others said they do better with a partner. I just went with two. It's very hard for me because animals love me but these birds are like "feed us, let us yell at you and leave us alone you lowly human." lol

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I went up the road to meet Keahi the African Grey parrot. I sat in front of his cage for a good while, talking to him softly and whistling. It didn't take him long to come as close as he could get to me so I fed him a few tiny pieces of shredded cheese. He then began lifting his foot up and down and spread his wings out. His owner said that it mean't he wanted me to pick him up.

After deciding that the bird liked me we talked about prices. He asked me what id offer him and I got so shy that I laughed and said I wasn't sure but that I have a job and could pay him what he wanted for the bird. He told me, "I'll give him to you for $50." I said, "Are you serious!?" and he said that he was, so I told him that I would give him $100.

I am now sitting here all excited. I have bags of treats and mango ready for my new friend to move in. The only problem we have is, how in the heck will we get him to the house!? The cage isn't small enough to sit upright in the trail blazer, so it will have to be laid on it's side. Im thinking we could put Keahi in a cat carrier and then lay the cage sideways? Anyone have any ideas? We are less than a mile down the road from where he lives right now... and how am I going to get through a 7:00am-4:00pm shift without going crazy!? Haha

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Today I went up the road to meet Keahi the African Grey parrot. I sat in front of his cage for a good while, talking to him softly and whistling. It didn't take him long to come as close as he could get to me so I fed him a few tiny pieces of shredded cheese. He then began lifting his foot up and down and spread his wings out. His owner said that it mean't he wanted me to pick him up.

After deciding that the bird liked me we talked about prices. He asked me what id offer him and I got so shy that I laughed and said I wasn't sure but that I have a job and could pay him what he wanted for the bird. He told me, "I'll give him to you for $50." I said, "Are you serious!?" and he said that he was, so I told him that I would give him $100.

I am now sitting here all excited. I have bags of treats and mango ready for my new friend to move in. The only problem we have is, how in the heck will we get him to the house!? The cage isn't small enough to sit upright in the trail blazer, so it will have to be laid on it's side. Im thinking we could put Keahi in a cat carrier and then lay the cage sideways? Anyone have any ideas? We are less than a mile down the road from where he lives right now... and how am I going to get through a 7:00am-4:00pm shift without going crazy!? Haha
PM ScentHound, he'll always give you good advice.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Koda........yes a cat carrier is fine to transport your grey...... Be warned though....a grey will sometimes bite before 'stepping up' I raised mine from hatching and as much as he loved me...every now and then he still nailed me (and then laughed!) Just remember that you will now own a bird that is like a three year child complete with temper tantrums, but will learn new vocabulary constantly so expletives that are often spoken with ' excited voices' will be learned quickly!!!!
Also educate yourself of proper nutrition for parrots.......lots of fresh veggies, fruits (raw) and an occasional chicken leg bone ('cooked', not raw!) Keep the amount of sunflower seed very low and also, although they love them peanuts. Almonds in the shell are a good choice. I had my Grey on a pelleted diet (Zupreem fruit blend) I found it to be a lot less mess than seed debris all over the place and it is a balanced diet food.
I think between mine and Scenthounds experience we should be able to answer any questions you may have......

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Congrats and good luck to you. Loves is dead on as usual. My parrots live on a base mix of pellets, seeds, nuts, and berries mix with fresh veggies, and fruits. I admit that i tend to give them more peanuts that i should as treats. I also add in some fresh baked birdie bread, eggs, and cooked noodles periodically.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 87 Posts