Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’ll try not to make this too long but no promises. Our 112 pound, 2 year old American Bulldog has had some on and off limping for months. He’s already been diagnosed with a herniated disk so we assumed after hard playing/hiking that it was this bother him, let him rest a few days then he’s fine. Well, last week was severe, he’d take 4 steps and collapse, awful. Made him a vet appt but it would take 2 days to see him. I gave him cbd treats to ease the pain, limping improved by the next day. Another vet was able to see him before our original appt (nothing wrong with a second opinion anyway) That vet did a small exam, no xrays, just touch and feel. Strongly recommend surgery! In both knees, when we thought it was just the right. Anyway, research all day and night and this seemed so scary. Get to our usual vet appt and he says Floki is slightly overweight, put him on a diet and remadyl for pain. (We did not say anything about other vet) At this appt, he wouldn’t even limp, like I was lying! Lol (had been on cbd) It’s been 4 days now that I quit the cbd for the Rx, remadyl. Back to limping, lethargic and had a head tremor. He has had tremors in the past so may be unrelated but that was over a year ago. I’ve decided today to quit the prescription and use cbd again. I can’t help but think I’m wrong for not taking doctor advice but I want so bad to do right by my dog. Also, they wanted to do bloodwork after 2 weeks to see how he’s handling remadyl... I feel concerned about that. Give him something, look for damage then decide? Any ideas, opinions, experiences would ease my mind right now. Please and thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,634 Posts
Can you please talk to your vet about this? You have valid concerns and they should be willing to allay them. It's normal to monitor for kidney or liver function after some drug prescriptions because if they don't react well those tests show it and the dog is taken off it without permanent damage. Every drug including CBD has possible negative effects and you have a good vet if they monitor for them. But they cannot help you if you don't include them in the treatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you please talk to your vet about this? You have valid concerns and they should be willing to allay them. It's normal to monitor for kidney or liver function after some drug prescriptions because if they don't react well those tests show it and the dog is taken off it without permanent damage. Every drug including CBD has possible negative effects and you have a good vet if they monitor for them. But they cannot help you if you don't include them in the treatment.
Oh yes, I’ve emailed the vet’s office with all my concerns. I didn’t call because it will be relayed by a tech and misunderstood somehow, this way it can be read by the doctor. I realize there are side effects to even cbd, I’m willing to do blood work, it’s just that he’s so much better acting on it than with the prescription. So conflicted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,634 Posts
What's the conflict? If CBD works then great! If there needs to be an addition of the anti inflammatory then go with that. :) No need to feel bad about either or both as long as there is vet supervision.

ETA He's so darn cute in your avatar!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, he is pretty darn cute! And honestly, I don’t know, I worry about him so much. Lol...he’s such a good boy and way too young for this.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top