Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fed my previous dogs this costco brand food: HERE
I know little about dog nutrition but all of the ingredients in it seem real and not fillers. It is $35 for 40 pounds in the warehouse, is there a better dry food for the price? I am getting a puppy soon and want to give them the best nutrition I can (without spending an arm and a leg).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Go to the website at Dog Food Advisor.com. they list all kinds of dog food and they have analyzed the ingredients and what it really means if it says "chicken" or "chicken meal" and they rate the dog foods with stars. It will teach you how to read the labels and make informed choices. You don't have to educated yourself fully on dog nutrition, but you do need to read and understand labels and what is and is not a good or acceptable ingredient for dogs.

I choose my dog foods from that site and only feed those that have either 4 or 5 stars. I don't think you can go too far wrong if you do that.
I have fed the Costco brand but have chosen to feed what I consider a better food than that now, although it costs more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Blue Buffalo brand is considered a good quality brand. When we has Rascal we used the Costco house brand. Rascal even hat a rock in her stomach when they Xrayed her for lung cancer.
j

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm not sure of the costs in the US, but I used to feed my dogs Fromm and it was great for all their lives. There are many formulas and grades to choose from. It was not that pricey for me, and I really liked the ingredients.

I feed Acana Regionals to my current pup, because it's locally sourced and high meat protein and most of all, my pup does great on it, but I think it might cost more.

Just sharing what I fed my dogs. There are other good brands out there, but that's what I know.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have been feeding my dogs the Costco Kirkland brand for years. It is good quality food. It gets the 2nd highest rating on dogfoodadvisor. In addition, it has only had one recall in 2009 - and that was in 2012 when there was a major salmonella poisoning with chicken.

None of my dogs have had diet issues. Moose-dog was a bit sensitive to chicken, so I fed him and his sister the lamb version. Tornado-dog and Cat-dog are both on the chicken with no issue.

One thing that impresses me with the Kirkland is their feeding guide. Most brands recommend a massive feeding amount per weight. Kirkland is pretty realistic with their recommendations. I usually start with their suggestion and then increase or decrease by 1/2 cup (large dogs) if needed for different metabolisms. Moose-dog was a true rarity as he required 5-1/2 cups for his first 5 years due to his metabolism. At 15, he was still eating 3-1/2 cups (on target with their guide for his weight). All my other dogs have been within a 1/2 cup of the recommendation.

Reactions: Buzzu2

·
Registered
507 Posts
X2 on the Kirkland. I had fed their Chicken and Rice for over 25 yrs and 8 dogs. I only stopped when Covid hit and it became hard to find and got way too expensive (3 dogs, with 2 being larger dogs). I now feed Diamond Chicken and Rice kibble which is very similar; and Diamond is the Maker of Kirkland Kibble.

This chart is a few yrs old and came curtesy of @CachetheBC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts