Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone:

I am new to the forum and I was hoping you can help out:)

My friend has a Yorkie who keeps getting kidney stones, he has had 3 surgeries and is 9 years old. He is on potassium pills and she feeds him science diet "Hills" (crappy I know! I told her!). She is concerned that her vet of 15 years is losing his "mojo" and he isn't giving very good advice, all he ever suggests is surgery.. I recommended her to find another vet, gave her my vet's number.. and she is going to take him in and see what he says.
I have quite a bit of experience with my cat Tiger, he blocked last year and had to learn about nutrition..
I was wondering if feeding him a high quality canned food (I feed my cat grain free all natural Natural Balance.. Venison formula) and cosequin for bladder health.
Will a high premium canned food help?
I know cosequin is for cats but it promotes bladder health so maybe it will do him some good?
If you could share some experiences that'd be great!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Hypertweeky and Welcome to the Dog Forum!
I think having your friend get a second opinion is a smart move. A new vet will see the situation with "fresh" eyes and hopefully offer other possibilites.
As far as the food goes, Im not a SD fan, but I would not recommend that she rush out and start trying different foods until she has another vet look at her dog. There could be so much more then food related issues with her dog. Genectics, a disease, his breed, or this dogs system may just not work well no matter what it's fed.
However, there are also supplements that she can try. Cosequin is great for joints, but for bladder issues she needs to feed a cranberry supplement. But, only recommend this if the vet does not think it would harm her dog.
Im going to include a link that you find helpful or if she is interested, she might find it useful.
I hope this helps her and her little Yorkie. Please keep us updated on his progress.
Nephrolithiasis (Kidney Stones) in Dogs

·
Registered
80 Posts
What is he on Potassium pills for? I agree, SD is a terrible food.
When looking at diets for dogs that get stones and for their treatment, depends on the type of stones.
Do you know what type of stones he has? Also, is he getting UTI's? (Urinary tract infections). UTI's and stones go together. If he has any type of recurring UTI, they need to address that too.
My mother had 2 Boxer males that had UTI's that went along with the rarest form of stone, Silicate. It's also the hardest to treat.
Anyhow, would like to hear what type of stones he is getting. Then to do research on the best foods to feed him.
Personally, I would put him on an all raw food diet. Which would include raw buffalo, liver, heart, dark green veggies, goat yogurt. And vitamins. The vitamins to be used would really depend on what type of stones he has and if they are caused from acidic or alkaline urine, etc.
It may do her some good to bring him to a holistic vet too. That type of vet can do alot for a dog like him.

Let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My friend's male cat has a similar problem but after the vet prescribed him on some special dry cat food, he's doing much better. Maybe your friend can check with the new vet to see if there is a similar food for dogs. Does the dog like drinking water? If not, try giving him ice cubes and encourage him to drink more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has your puppy been checked for Liver disease? Could be he has a Liver Shunt or MVD - I am on another list that deals with dogs with these issues - mine has portosystemic liver shunt - Have your vet address liver issues

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bladder stones and diet change
We had a lot of trouble with bladder stones with our Hannah (a Cairn terrier), including an instances of acute retention which could have killed her, but a change of diet to a bland and natural one seem to solve the problem on a life long basis. Most vets seem to favour a change of diet.
For a description of Hannah's problems and details of her case history please see -
http://sites.google.com/site/health1916/home/dog-bladder-stones
If the link does not work then just copy and paste the address into the http:// address bar at the top of your screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts