Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my one year old yorkie-poo to the vet yesterday for a routine appointment. I got a call later saying that his BUN level was 36 (normal is up to 27 according to my vet) so they asked me to bring in a urine sample to make sure it wasn't consistent with kidney problems.

Unfortunately, they called me back to say the urinalysis was abnormal as well. He is beginning to form crystals in his urine so they switched him to a prescription food to bring down the pH in his urine to hopefully break up the crystals before they become solid and require surgery. They also put him on an antibiotic.

I am hoping someone else has dealt with a similar situation and can give me a little more insight. I guess I was scared or too shocked to ask questions yesterday so now I am wondering about his prognosis since he is only one! I'm a nervous wreck! Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
your not alone, my jessie had a urine test today just because she has peed in house 6 times over last few days randomly and drinking alot more then normal and her PH is 8 and gravity is low. got to have blood tests tommorow btw whatsBUN?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
Crystals can cause problems if they build up. Your vet is trying to stop this occuring with diet. Do you know which sort of crystals were found? Did they do an xray? The best thing to do is to stick to the diet, some crystals are less responsive to others. Crystals can build up and block the urethra (esp males) or can build up in the bladder. Usually if they are already formed in to large enough stones surgery may be necessary to remove them. There is also an operation called a urethrostomy for dogs that have the stones building up often. At this stage try not to worry, follow the diet instructions to a T and follow up with your vet for repeat urinalysis

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm going through the same thing. My 6 month old puppy has Kidney issues we just found out this week. His kidney function is at 47% and normal range is 27%. Found a concerning amount of protein in his urine. I'm not a vet and really don't understand what all this means because I'm still trying to process that my puppy is sick, but I do know he acts normal and playful. My vet doesn’t see a long life for my little guy..sorry I'm still so upset and I know what you are going through. We are starting him on 2 medications today, in 2 weeks we will re-do his blood work to see if it is getting better/worse. He also starts a prescribed food today...think it’s called K/T?
He does drink a lot of water we kept track and he drank about 32 ounces; double what he should. The vet has suggested doing an ultra sound to see if they can identify any issues just by looking. Is your dog acting normal? Energy level? Just curious. Sorry this is an long response and I'm not much help but I understand and hope someone can give you some useful information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an older dog with kidney issues a few years ago. She had the issues from malnutrition sadly. However after they put her on the special dog food she improved greatly. I hope it all goes well for you as well, the food should really help. Just remember to keep your vet updated if you get worried about anything. Never think any question or concern is silly it could be a sign.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Given your dog is part Yorkie, I'd be more concerned if there was excessive protein in the urine. That's the #1 question to be asking right now. If a test called a urine protein to creatinine ratio can be run, I'd do it if there is even a little bit of protein seen on the urine test to rule out a condition called Protein Losing Nephropathy.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Given your dog is part Yorkie, I'd be more concerned if there was excessive protein in the urine. That's the #1 question to be asking right now. If a test called a urine protein to creatinine ratio can be run, I'd do it if there is even a little bit of protein seen on the urine test to rule out a condition called Protein Losing Nephropathy.
Is that condition common in yorkies?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry everyone I had trouble finding this post after I made it! Since I last posted I kept him on the strict diet the vet ordered and his urine was rechecked this week. The stones are resolving and his pH level is normal again. He did still have some protein in his urine, but it went down from 100 to 30 so that is an improvement. He will have him blood rechecked in 2 weeks to see if his BUN has returned to normal as well.

Obviously the diet is working really well and I definitely want to stick to it, but does anyone know if this will be a forever thing? My dog gets sick of food all the time so I am worried he will stop eating it. He is only 4 pounds so he can't really afford to get sick of his food.

And Crazy- BUN is a level in the blood that is related to kidney function/dehydration etc.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Do you know if he has protein losing nephropathy??? This is VERY important to find out from your vet. And if your vet doesn't know, they need to find out ASAP since if it is, more meds are likely needed. And I'm pushing you to find this out because it is a very devastating disease and the earlier you know and start treating, the longer the prognosis.

Depending on the cause of the Kidney issue, the food may be permanent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts