Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joe-cat 15.5, Daphne-dog 13, Julie-cat 12, Cheddar-cat 2
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 year old dog, Daphne, had an incident where she went to the vet and had liver and panc numbers that were off the charts. During this time, hospitalized for one night, home with anti-biotics and back for blood work every two weeks for a month, they realized her kidney values were not great. The vet does not think there is a correalation between the liver/panc flare-up and the kidneys but now I have this to deal with. Of course the first thing the vet did was try to puch the prescription foods on me.
I declined.
I manage my 15.5 yr old cat who has diabetes, CKD and panc myself with testing sugar at home and then feeding homemade cat food. I know how to manage it and he is doing well.
I have NO IDEA of how to feed my dog that is showing signs of CKD

·
Registered
Joe-cat 15.5, Daphne-dog 13, Julie-cat 12, Cheddar-cat 2
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did they specify what stage of CKD? I know little about feeding homemade diets for kidney care, only that its recommended they are low in phosphorous. For now, I would be transitioning to the recommended RX diet until you figure it out, to at least start being proactive and potentially get on top of the issue for now. Once you know more, you can transition off. This way you don't have to rush and can do a thorough job of researching a suitable diet.
Hi Maisie. It is just the very beginning. In fact the vet said we could wait until the next blood work or I could just start feeding a kidney diet now. I want to do it now and prevent things from moving along too fast.
The key to managing my cats nutrition is also only protein and low phosphorus (cook without bone in of course) for the cat it is protein and no greens or starch. Not sure about what is good kidney nutrition for a dog.
I should say here that I have been cooking for my dog for over a year. Ground Turkey, a bit of ground beef, some vegetables (spinach, peas, carrots) brown rice and apples. I do not know if this recipe is something that will be good for her kidneys or not.
My dog gets no kibble at all because I think it is a useless food that does more harm than good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts