Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was walking Sally a tiny bit to about three-four houses down and back because she actually wasn't sore.Our neighbors 4-5 year old boy ran up to Sally from behind,which startled her a bit,then hugged her tightly as she backed up and whimpered,trying to get away.He got right in her face.

I taught her to gt accustomed to hugs by me but she certainly didn't like his hug. :ponder: :( I know to dogs it isn't very friendly to hug them

·
Registered
500 Posts
Depends on the dog...if a kid tries an hugs Pax, that kid will get a face full of slobber from licking!

Just like puppies, kids don't know any different especially if the parents are not dog owners. I am sure to let kids know what is acceptable or not when dealing with my dog.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It sucks when things like this happen, I hate kids who are rude and get in a dog's face.

When we walk our dogs and a kid approaches them, we ask them to stop as soon as we notice they are heading to our pups. If they actually ask and we are walking Kasper, we will say they can greet him and tell them how. If they're rude, they get told to back off in no uncertain terms.

A boy who couldn't have been older than 10 was walking with his family. We were on the opposite side of a narrow country road. The boy left his family and started approaching Kasper, looking him in the eye, walking to meet him head on and as he got closer he reached his hand to Kasper's face. I held my hand up in a 'stop' sign and asked him not to pet our dog, because he's a rescue dog and can be nervous. The kid kept on coming. Then I told him to stop because we didn't want our dog meeting him. Still he kept on coming, and he was pretty close now. In the end I stood in front, body blocking him, and my partner called out "Stop, our dog will bite".

Kasper is fine with children, but I was not happy with how that kid was acting. Kasper is a nervous / sensitive dog, he did used to be afraid of adults, and I don't want anything scaring him. As soon as my partner called out, the parents got the boy away. I was fuming.

My dogs are fine when we hug them. Zoey is fine when anyone hugs her. Kasper is fine with respectful children...but I don't want anyone hugging him, and I'm not willing to let every kid who wants to say hi greet him. After having so many bad experiences with kids, I am picky :p

If Kasper was older / poorly, as your Sally is, and that kid had done that to him I would be really annoyed. Maybe you could practice having something ready to say next time ("Please don't stroke Sally, she's not feeling well at the moment", "Please don't come see Sally she doesn't really like people rushing her", "You can come see Sally but please approach slowly, and here have a treat to give to her"). Whatever works for you.

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well normally when I see a dog I want to pet I say "May I please pet you're dog?"If they say yes I usually let my eyes kind of wander away from the dog and bend down,a bit away from them and hold out my hand pretty low and stay calm.Then once they sniff and possibly come over I just wait a bit to pet them,then finally i will reach my hand out to see if they move near to be petted or I gently pet their shoulders or near them.

I know but i'm just a bit shy :| With kids i know if they run to her usually I say "Shes sore today and probably doesn't want to be petted."
(because most days she is and actually does get a bit annoyed with children.)

I mean,that kid was right in her face and quite frankly their dog,Max puts his face right next to hers which bothers her.She hates people and dogs in her face.

It sucks when things like this happen, I hate kids who are rude and get in a dog's face.

When we walk our dogs and a kid approaches them, we ask them to stop as soon as we notice they are heading to our pups. If they actually ask and we are walking Kasper, we will say they can greet him and tell them how. If they're rude, they get told to back off in no uncertain terms.

A boy who couldn't have been older than 10 was walking with his family. We were on the opposite side of a narrow country road. The boy left his family and started approaching Kasper, looking him in the eye, walking to meet him head on and as he got closer he reached his hand to Kasper's face. I held my hand up in a 'stop' sign and asked him not to pet our dog, because he's a rescue dog and can be nervous. The kid kept on coming. Then I told him to stop because we didn't want our dog meeting him. Still he kept on coming, and he was pretty close now. In the end I stood in front, body blocking him, and my partner called out "Stop, our dog will bite".

Kasper is fine with children, but I was not happy with how that kid was acting. Kasper is a nervous / sensitive dog, he did used to be afraid of adults, and I don't want anything scaring him. As soon as my partner called out, the parents got the boy away. I was fuming.

My dogs are fine when we hug them. Zoey is fine when anyone hugs her. Kasper is fine with respectful children...but I don't want anyone hugging him, and I'm not willing to let every kid who wants to say hi greet him. After having so many bad experiences with kids, I am picky :p

If Kasper was older / poorly, as your Sally is, and that kid had done that to him I would be really annoyed. Maybe you could practice having something ready to say next time ("Please don't stroke Sally, she's not feeling well at the moment", "Please don't come see Sally she doesn't really like people rushing her", "You can come see Sally but please approach slowly, and here have a treat to give to her"). Whatever works for you.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I used to be really shy too :) But with having a dog who is very sensitive and who really didn't like strangers when we got him, I had to get used to stopping people...otherwise it would make him more fearful and make him more likely to tell them to back off himself. It's really hard though...Kasper had a few nasty things happen to him in the early days (like the idiotic guy who grabbed his head on either side and stared in his eyes to 'see if they were different colours' :mad: ) because I was too scared to tell them to stop.

I also taught Kasper 'touch' (bump my outstretched hand with his nose) which boosted his confidence around people reaching for him...might not work for your girl, but it's an idea if you want to try it :)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Every dog I ever owned, I was confident that children were safe around them, although a few of my dogs, (Hey You, Lacey and Jaya) seemed to tolerate rather than enjoy the kids petting them. Jaya, will stay in the room with a kid but if they look at her she'll run, but then she does that with me too. But she doesn't automatically run and hide when a kid is in my home...she'll hang out and watch them and everyone else from across the room. I have had her on a leash and let my nieces pet her....down the top of her back, but not around her head as she doesn't like her head touched. But she loves having her back scratched and actually enjoyed my niece petting and scratching her back. Jaya's fearful, but she's never ever showed any sign of aggression even during the worst of her panic/fear attacks.

My other dogs, Sampson, Shilo, Ernie, Harper, and HaHa...adored kids and were very gentle around them or full out playful. They would even rein in their exuberant play when the kids were smaller...almost as if they knew it would be too easy to hurt a little kid by playing too rough.

On of my fondest and rather bittersweet memories is of the day I took Harper in and found out I was going to have to put her to sleep due to her diabetes. There was a little girl at the vets, who was probably about 4 years old. She came up to me and asked me if she could walk Harper. She wasn't being rowdy and was pretty calm, so I gave her the leash to my 120 pound lassie looking dog. And Harper followed her around the vet's office, and wagged her tail when the little girl would stop and hug this dog that was almost taller than she was. It was really charming to watch those two. Harper wasn't feeling really good...she quit eating a few days prior, but she was still enjoying her time with that little kid.

So, not all dogs dislike kids...even those who are not around them that much.

Stormy

Reactions: DrHarmony

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Sounds like Sally did well though, she's a good dog :thumbsup: I agree with you, it's always best to ask the owner first, the child was lucky that Sally is a sweetheart. My Betsy is like that, so gentle, but I like it when kids ask to pet her first.

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sally loves people,but gets startled sometimes,she knows touch very well,by the way. I teach her tricks alot :) She loves kids a whole bunch. Shes not mean. :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Its a nightmare if you have tiny cute dogs . Poor PIP JRT loves people and gets ignored while people go to pet Libby chi x who tries to avoid them.
They even try to pick her up :mad:
I live near a school and I've noticed lately that more children are asking for permission to stroke my dogs so perhaps the message is getting through.
I body block people sometimes and I've even grabbed little kids to stop them. Fortunately, their parents didn't mind.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
One thing I've noticed since having Leia, is the number of people who ask if they can pet has gone up 10x compared to when walking with Simba who people would just pet. I always say yes but it means a lot to me that they ask.

If I went up to your kid and just started rubbing his head you'd probably call the cops, so don't do it to my kids.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Kids are the worst, especially here in the bush of alaska. Many kids think just because their lose dogs/puppies are friendly to them that they can just come up to any dog and pet or hug them. I don't let Kuma in that situation because I dont' know how he'll react and I usually give them a firm, HE BITES! and that usually scares them off otherwise they would litterly following us until we get to the highway and they will leave us alone if I didn't say he bites.

Even hubby says that when he takes him for walks because kids come running up to Kuma because he looks like a puppy and hubby will tell them he bites don't approach him.

My sister's youngest doesn't really know how to be nice to dogs and they have been trying their best to teach him how to act with any dog. When I introduced Kuma to test how he is around kids of various ages, he was okay with the oldest (14 years old), the 11 year old was okay, but he didn't mind where as the 8 year and 5 year old were iffy where I didn't know as he gave a little bit of lip action. But the 3 year old, he gave lip and growled.

So, now we tell him he can't come lovey on my dog until I say it's okay. (He's okay if I'm there holding him and doesn't mind having the youngest come pet him, but I would not let him hug Kuma as they allow them with their dog who they got as a puppy and was raised with the chaos of kids.

Yeah, on the street when we walk, and I see kids coming toward us, I move to the other side, if they keep coming toward us, I tell them in a very harsh tone, He will bite don't come near him.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
One of the benefits of living in a dog friendly area is the kids are almost always well trained concerning dogs, and, since they're surrounded by dogs constantly, don't find them all that exciting.

Now in Scranton ... I had Kabota maybe 2 weeks when this girl, around 8 or 9, comes running up, screaming "doggy!", drops to her knees, throws her arms around Kabota and starts kissing his muzzle. I thought "sh*t, he's going to bite her face off" and he very calmly sat down.

That kid was so lucky.

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
It's annoying when people let their kids walk up to random dogs. Kenya is such a low key dog that I doubt she'd do anything. She'll hump little kids that are around at times though. :eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank goodness Sally's such a sweet heart! Parents have GOT to learn to dog-train their kids. Running up and throwing yourself at a strange dog is a GREAT way to get your face torn up. And the worst part about it is, it's not the kid that's going to get in trouble for his/her irresponsibility. The kid's going to get cuddled and comforted, and the reactive recovering recently-abused rescue dog is going to get yelled at (best case scenario) or put down (worst case scenario). The owner would have had no time to react, the dog would have been terrified, and the child's parents (who never had the sense to teach the kid manners) would get off because OH DEAR the dog attacked the child!

Parents: TEACH YOUR KIDS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.